Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Pioneer vsx 80. Video intermittent really is spent all that

Customer Question
Pioneer vsx 80. Video...
Pioneer vsx 80. Video intermittent really is spent all that money and the video is intermittent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2015
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, When the video is intermittent you need to first look at a couple of other things. First- how long of a run is the HDMI cable to the TV? Anything longer than 20 feet will be prone to dropouts. Also have you tried another HDMI cable from the Pioneer to the TV?

Also how old is the receiver, and when did this problem occur?

4"
I purchased the receiver about 10 months ago only used it for sound , now I want video, I am so disappointed
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you checked/replaced the video connecting cable? ...what type of cable is used? ...of what source(s)?

Would symptom persist if video source is directly connected to the TV?

Still, proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) is to perform a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. Again if have not been done and should you venture to try: please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of a compatibility issue or even an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other faults.

Ok no cables longer than 4' known good
When I connect bd directly I have video
Tried reset 4 times
Yes I can use the one screen setup menu
When I connect directly from bd my monitor reads 1080p when I connect the vsx-80 it flashes 720x480 then blank screen and now no sound
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please check and update the firmware (if necessary).

The above would be the last user doable try as all others would either be hardware or compatibility concerns.

Louie, Technician