Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Purchased a garmin zumo motorcycle. I have a cigarette type…

Customer Question
Purchased a garmin zumo for...
Purchased a garmin zumo for my motorcycle. I have a cigarette type auxilary outlet on the cycle to provide power to the zumo. The cigarette male plug is required and has a two wire connection (I suppose 1 hot wire and a ground). Now here's the hard part...there are three wires in the harness for the zumo. The question: what are the two wires I use for my zumo 550? black to black, red to red, and the white one?? Or is it some other combination?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/7/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) What is the age and condition of the BATTERY PACK?

3) WHAT "THREE-WIRE HARDNESS" are you using to connect to the device power?

Thanks

The age of the devise is probably around two to three years old. The battery pack takes a full charge, then takes about 8-10 hours to run down. The wiring harness is the standard issue (by Garmin) that came with the Garmin when purchased.

Hi again and thanks for getting back to me.

Does that cable/harness have "tag" or any other label on it - with the Part number?

I only ask because what SHOULD have come in the original package is the following (in the line of cables).

- Automotive power cable (like this one - click for link).

- Motorcycle power cable (click here for link)

- USB cable (click here)

Now there IS an "accessory" cable for DATA transfer, and it has a Mini-B USB connector on one end, and loose wires on the other, but that is mainly used for "fleet management" (when connecting to data loggers or radios, that kind of thing). Could that be the "harness" you have (click here for link)?

Please let me know what you find for a tag or label.

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)