Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Sony Digital Still Camera bought July this year

Customer Question
Hi I have a...
Hi I have a Sony Digital Still Camera bought July this year DSC-W810 NOM(###) ###-#### ***** I accidently took a fall with the camera in my hand but it didn't touch the ground and I thought that it was alright because I took several shots afterwards but then the lens wouldn't close. I looked up the Sony manual and read that the battery can be sensitive to a knock so I was hoping that that might be the problem. Can you tell me if a shock to the battery would cause the lens to stay open?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/29/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell A., Technician replied 2 years ago
Russell A.
Russell A., Technician

Unfortunately, it is probably not that simple. If the lens was extended when you took the fall, the pressure against it may have knocked it out of alignment.

Please be aware that resolving this issue can take multiple attempts. With some units that have had this problem it has taken me up to 6 or 7 hours of manipulation, over a few days, to make the lens move freely.

Make sure that the battery or batteries are new or fullu charged.

Put the camera switch in the Off position.

Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing.

If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix.

This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted.

Next, if uneven, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest.

You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place.

Try powering the camera on.

If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following.

Turn the camera off.

Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement.

Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place.

Power the camera on. Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on.

Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving.

Lens errors are a common problem. It may just be misaligned or an internal component has failed due to the impact. Here are a couple of links to some other things to try. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but since you can't use the warranty and yours has been dropped, they may save you an expensive repair bill. An older Canon camera is used to demonstrate these procedures but, the lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit. These procedures are effective about 60% of the time.

Click on or copy and paste the links into your browser.

http://www.e18error.com/repair.html

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html

Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately $97 - $110 really depends on how attached to the camera you are. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A good used or refurbished DSC-W810 can be purchased for as low as $20 - $45 and I've seen a brand new one for around $60.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair, please let me know.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or solves your issue, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Thank you

Russell A.
Russell A.
Russell A., Technician