Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

My DVD tray won't eject. It makes a rumbling sound. I can

Customer Question

Hi, my DVD tray won't eject. It makes a rumbling sound. I can open it by using a pin (through the emergency pinhole) but once I close it again, it won't eject. Only if I open it through the pinhole. How can I get it to work?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What's the Make and Model of the device in question here today please??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ASUS X551M Notebook PC
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Ah okay. This was listed under general electronics, not laptops or computers. How long have you owned the Asus for and when did the issue occur? Also, what are your skills regarding dismantling/repairing electronics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've owned it for about 1 year + a few months. This issue happened yesterday. I don't have much practice repairing laptops/computers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more info.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. The grinding noise indicate that the eject mechanism has a failure- most likely a broken plastic gear, or misaligned tracks. This affects using the electronic eject on the unit- but will still allow you to use the pinhole eject. The solution here is to replace the drive, which is Panasonic/Matsushita UJ8E1 and can be purchased for $50 at the link below if you're looking to perform a DIY repair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Matsushita-UJ8E1-SATA-CD-RW-DVD-RW-Multi-Burner-Drive-With-Bezel-/221374575274

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You can check out the link below to see a video on how to disassemble and replace the drive below (note: The author is actually adding a drive to an Asus that does not have one- but you'll be able to get the procedure by seeing him dismantle the laptop):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5c8gBnNirg

Also, several model of DVD drive will work, but the one I posted above is what ws stated as factory OEM equipment in the Asus.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather not purchase a new drive. How can I tell if it is the misaligned tracks or the gear? Also, can I replace the plastic band with a rubber band myself?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You'd need to disassemble the drive, and I don't know what you're referring to as a rubber band- I never mentioned anything about that, and it's not likely a band causing this. If you're looking to go that route- I'll need to opt out. I don't repair drives, as you can buy one for as little as about $10- so not worth the time repairing them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need someone to help me fix this without having to purchase a new drive. Or, if I absolutely have to buy one, then please help me find a drive that is less than 50 $.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Do you have a label on the back of the laptop with a 24M or 36M on it? If so this is the waranty period in month. If you have 24 or 36 it should still be good to apply for warranty, you call Asus at 1(###) ###-####/p>

As for repairing a mangled gear, i disassemble the computer, get the drive, disassemble the drive, get the damaged gears and shaft (those can bend so i can make them straight again) and use crazy glue as a simple filler to increase the gear diameter, once dry i then use a triangular file to remove any excess material. Not something easy to do. Sometime it is easier, if it was only a debris between the gears (liek the proverbial grain of sand).