Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a one year old, refurbished tachi CPA222VM and the

Customer Question

I have a one year old, refurbished Hitachi CPA222VM and the image just started projecting a red blur or blotch. It gradually happens after about 15 minutes. It is not usable as it is. Can you fix it through me while I am at home? I don't want to pay you if I have to take it in for service. I need it fixed in a few days ...
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

Can you please check the model number of the TV? I am not able to find CPA222VM as a valid model TV from Hitachi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a TV. It is an LCD Projector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ACtually, the last letter is wrong. It is N instead of M.

Okay thank you. That what I am familiar with. This is an LCD projector and what you are seeing is a failed LCD panel. That will have to be replaced. Is this something that you would be trying to fix yourself? If so, I will see if I can find the LCD panel but I can't guarantee that'll be available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael - I really need a solution right away as we use the projector for a puppet show that leaves in less than a week to go on the road. I hadn't heard back from you so I ordered a new projector, but YES, if this can be fixed, it will be good to have a back up. The projector is in excellent condition otherwise - hardly a spec of dust. I opened the cover to have a look at the electronics - pretty complex. I'll need a good description of what I am looking for.
Lisa

I do know the company can use for a fast repair and they have reasonable pricing as well. They may be able to find the part for you if you want to do the installation, but if you aren't familiar with repairing this projector I wouldn't recommend doing it. But that's entirely up to you. A back a projector is a fantastic idea and this would be a good way to get one at a reasonable cost. Here is the link to the repair company.

http://bitli.es/IAcCpf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it has been awhile, but I have had to focus on getting the new one first. I called the repair company you mentioned and they replied to me via email to contact the manufacturer to get the part. Am I expected to locate the part? How do I do this?

Is that the case even if you have them repair it? Of course, they aren't obligated to find the part for you, so ultimately you could say that you are "expected" to locate the part - but that seems like pretty poor customer service on their part. So, no... it would be very unusual for a company to ask you to get the part if they are going to repair it. Unfortunately, parts for these projectors are sold in very few places. I would contact Hitachi projectors and get their recommendation.

1.800.HITACHI • Email:***@******.*** Web: hitachi-america.us/projectors

They may sell the part to you directly or offer a repair location that can get readily get the part (as long as it is still produced).

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service. It will not affect our ability to communicate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hardback from Hitachi. I emailed them last week. They gave me yet another facility to try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That place told me to mail in the projector, pay $65 for them to find out the part number and then pay for the repair and th shipping back. They won't give me a cost in advance. This whole thing has been incredibly difficult and frustrating. I am now on hold with Hitachi customer service... AGAIN who will probably tell me they can't help since it is no longer under warranty. Any suggestions? Any idea how much a repair like this should cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got off the phone with them and found out that the part costs just over $1000 and that's not counting labor. It is more expensive than the projector itself. With a cost this high, it is very strange that none of the repair shops or you as a technician can give me a ball park idea of what this might cost before spending the hours on it that I have.This is the first question I asked when I contacted you. I understand from looking online that this is a fairly common problem. It has been so frustrating to get the run around from so many different places. At least I know now to stop trying.

What is strange about it?

This is a fairly obscure product in the Hitachi lineup, made by Dukane Pojectors.

The complicating factor is that you purchased it refurbished. Since they started making these in mid 2012, and covered by a 3 year warranty, all projectors of this model, that are owned by the original owner, are still under warranty. So there would seldom be a reason for anyone to have had to find a price for parts at this point. You aren't getting the "run around" from me or anyone else. I have given my personal time to provide you with the most accurate information I have available. Because nearly all of these units are under warranty, I'd be surprised if someone could give you an immediate quote on the parts. It would have been best to come by and get someone's opinion on buying new vs refurbished - we could have pointed out the benefit of the three year warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little empathy would have been nice. It has been a very frustrating experience for me and I would like you to hear that. I have written in hopes that you will be able to save the next person this degree of, yes, "run around". If you had started your first response with your last one, it would have been more useful. As an "expert" I expect you to know something of the high cost of the LCD prism assembly replacement and repair. Instead, I spent hours opening up the projector, calling 5 or 6 different repair shops, researching the problem online and learning of its frequency, and finally getting the answer myself after multiple phone calls with customer service at Hitachi. I am not saying this is your fault and I do acknowledge that you have tried to be helpful. I doubt I would ever use this service again as it didn't meet my needs.