Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a relatively new Sony Weatherman/fm/am icf-s79W

Customer Question

Hello. I have a relatively new Sony Weatherman/fm/am icf-s79W radio. It recently started shutting itself off while I'm listening to the radio. It will play for a few minutes and then go dead. I have to touch the Radio On button again every few minutes to listen to it. What can I do to get it working properly?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me an idea how long this will take? I am sitting here waiting for an answer...should I go and come back?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question. I regret the long wait you have had for a response.

There are two possibilities: one, that your radio's auto-shut-off feature has been activated (if it has one), the other is simple enough: it's broken / defective.

If it is defective, it might be a heat-related problem. But a heat-related problem most likely wouldn't show up in a mere few minutes... unless the period before shutting Off is longer, if it is turned On after a prolonged period of being powered Off. Try that... if the interval is definitely longer, the news is, it isn't an auto-shut-off feature.

If it is relatively new, then if it's 'broken', that's good, it's covered by warranty in that case. But it might be simply that you aren't yet acquainted with its controls, and the auto-shut-off feature is new to you. So at this point, I'm not sure which is the problem. That's why I suggest the test I mentioned: turning it On after being Off for a prolonged while, and seeing if that interval before shut-Off is longer.