Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Not a duplicate: . I purchased Nikon cool pic. I set up

Customer Question
Not a duplicate: Hello. I...
Not a duplicate: Hello. I purchased Nikon cool pic. I set up the wifi with my samsungs5 and went well until I tried to text a photo. It said unsupported media. I have found many others have same problem. Look like a mistake. .typo in software...pic comes into text as jepg instead of jpeg. Works great with email etc. How quickly can this be fixed. I may return if I can't use this option. Seems like,an easy fix and many others,are having problem.
Richard suggested the following:
"Currently they do not have a fix for this, but a work around is to install Astro File Manager from the Play Store and set the association for jepg to work with your gallery app.,
To do this, download and install Astro
Open Astro.
Tap Menu
Tap More
Tap Preferences
Scroll to and Tap Edit File Extensions
Add jepg
Tap on the grey box in the upper right.
Select program Icon to Open with.
Once done, then when you open the jepg files they should now open correctly."
Richard's answer did not work. Astro does not open the way he suggested nor under view settings. Is there anything else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/30/2015
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Hi there,
Using a File Manager to change the default application for the "jepg" files is by far the easiest solution.
If Astro does not open as described, then try using an app called "Better Open With" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith
I downloaded as you suggested but unfortunately I don't know how to use it. Now this app tries to open everything Giving choices to use this,app or chrome. I simply want to be able to text pics I upload from my phone. There is,a Nikon error in their utility and when you try to text the ext. Is jgep. I don't want to use this app for everything. Plus I don't know how to add the wrong ext so it recognizes it. Am I explaining this that it is understandable?

Sometimes my smartphone sends funny words. Sorry if this happens in your message!

Take good care,

Sheila

Hi Shiela,
You can just use the app to set the file association, and then delete the app again.
To use Better Open With on your Android, you need to configure it first. After installing the app, launch it from your app drawer. On its main screen, you’ll see a list of available options. These options will allow you to configure or set your preferred application for specific tasks and file types. Just click on any item that you want to begin, e.g. picture files.
You will then be able to choose the way how you want your device to open and display your picture files. To set your preferred app handler, just tap the star icon that’s located right next to it.
In addition, you should also choose to immediately open the file using your preferred app handler without showing the app’s popup screen.
Once you’re done, just toggle the ON/OFF button on the top-right portion to enable or disable the app’s handling for specific Android tasks and file types. You can also configure the rest of the app’s supported tasks and files in a similar fashion.
If you’re using the app for the first time, make sure to set it as your default app first. By doing so, you can completely prevent your Android’s default “Complete action with” dialog from appearing on your screen. Instead, your system will just show the list that’s provided by Better Open With.
Hope that helps!
Pete.
Hi Shiela!
I notice your rating for my service has not gone through...
Do you need any further assistance?
Pete.

Pete, it looks like you didn't get my last response. I understand the app I believe with the exception I don't know how to add a new extension. I need it recognize the incorrect jgep. I don't see any options for this. I have been trying to deal with this for over a week now.....ugh.....thanks

What happens now when you try to open a 'JGEP' file?

it say it does not recognize the media extension

Ok, so at that point, can you use Better Open With to set the correct file association?

that's the problem..I don't know how to do that....lol....

Ok, it should pop up and prompt you, if the Better Open With app is toggled on?

ok, it says Unsupported media type, select different media. Then I can cancel of hit ok. It doesn't guide me anywhere.

I must not have something correct .

I have the camera app and images toggled on.

when you say toggled on.....when I open the app it has a list starting with Audio Files, Audio Stream...etc.

I clicked on Camera and then on Images and toggled the blue dot on at the top of each and a blue star also appears. What am I missing?

Do I need to toggle something elso?

Pete, Electronic Engineer