Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Experience:  Years of experience in IT and customer support
15852642

I have an intermittent problem where the projector starts up fine, pic

Customer Question

I have an intermittent problem where the projector starts up fine, picture is fine, and then after watching for a period of time the lamp turns off, and the blue lights flash. At that point, turning it back on usually results in this:
1. Blue light flashes
2. 30 seconds later I hear something firing up and the fan kicks on
3. A second or two later, the fan shuts back off and the blue flashing light stays forever.
This occurs regardless of whether I've let the projector cool down, unplugged, etc. Most of the time, after trying, unplugging, etc for about 45 min or so, it just decides to work, and I'm OK for up to a week. On one occasion, I went through the process for a couple of days before I finally got it to come back on. To me, it really sounds like a temperature sensor or something like that, but the overheat indicator never comes on. Anyway, hoping one of the techies would be able to interpret the "3 steps to failure" listed above and be able to pinpoint where the startup i
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The projector has been in a closet for a while - I replaced it with a Sony projector 6 months ago, but I'd still like to get this one working so I can sell it, or at least keep it as a backup. Anyway, the symptoms are the same now, except the fan just TRIES to start, but never really does. Wondering it if is a power supply issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
This sounds like a lamp power supply issue - you can measure the voltage supply to the lamp when this occurs to confirm.
The lamp's power supply circuitry will need to be tested to diagnose exactly which component(s) have failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I don't suppose you have access to a service manual for this projector? I'm wondering how hard the power supply is to get to. I was an electronics tech (nuclear) in the Navy back in the day, so I'm pretty comfortable taking things apart.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a service manual for this projector available.
Most projectors are straightforward to repair - just remove the top cover to expose the inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure you can help me without a manual. That's the whole reason I decided to try "Just Answer" - couldn't find a service manual online. I got the cover off. The mainboard is mounted on top, and would have to be removed to get to anything. Not really sure where the power supply is located, or even what one would look like in a projector.
Anyway, without doing anything other than looking, I put the case back together and of course it is working just fine now. That's why I don't want to send it to a service center - drive 45 min, drop it off, have them tell me it is fine, drive back to pick it up only to have it be broken again by the time I get home.
Based on the symptoms when it is NOT working, I'm thinking power supply, or maybe just the fan. I just get the flashing blue power light, nothing else. Not sure if I'd see one of the other indicators (like hi temp) if the fan was failing.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Could you attach some photos of the inside of the projector?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a thread on AVS, a guy showing how he replaced a gear box. The first few pics show the inside (before and after removing the mainboard).http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1609002-epson-5010-6010-cinema-filter-error-grinding-noise-red-light-fix-pics.html
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. After reading the thread I want to clarify after you unplug it the projector works, but once it warms up the problem starts again correct? You also said after removing the case it was working again, is it still working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Freddy,
It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works fine for days. When it does decide to stop working, it is usually after it has been on for a while, say 15 min or so. It would shut off right in the middle of watching something. No lamp light, no temperature light. The motorized lens cover stays open, and I see a slow flashing power light. At that point, I normally can't get it to come back on - even after unplugging, waiting, etc.Sometimes, after many attempts to get it back on, it starts working again within 45 min or so. On other occasions, it has taken me a couple of days to get it working again. Because of that, I've already replaced it with a new Sony projector. I'm trying to get the Epson working reliably so I can sell it - can't sell it in this condition (except for parts).It is working at the moment. It was NOT working, until I opened it up. Jostled it around pretty good while I was figuring out how to get the case open. Made me think it is maybe just a loose connection somewhere? Or a power supply that is in the process of dying? A dying fan? When it is NOT working and I try to turn it on, this is what happens:
1. Blue power light starts a slow flash (this is normal)
2. I hear something engaging, not sure what it is
3. Fan starts, runs anywhere from less than a second, to a second or two
4. Fan stops. Blue light continues to flash forever.What do you think? I know intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot, especially when it is working just fine at the moment. When this projector works, it is awesome. Seems a waste to have a $2500 projector sitting in my closet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh - I was really hoping to get someone that had access to a service manual for this projector. I'm sure there is documentation that explains the sequence of self-checks it goes through.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
From what you are telling me it sounds like it is overheating causing the problem which the fan is supposed to prevent. It should not be turning off like that making me think the fain itself needs to be replaced. Reconnect the fan connections to the board if you can see them. Then using a can of air duster blow it out as much as you can. Then test it and see if the same thing happens. There is no service manual available for this model. If you can take pictures of the boards etc and send em to me I can look at it that way for you. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think it is actually overheating, because the "temperature" light never comes on, and it doesn't let me turn it back on when it cools down. Wondering if there is a sensor that checks to see that the fan is running, and if not it shuts everything down? Same thing on startup, if the sensor sees a fault with the fan, it just shuts it all back down?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
The sensor is normally part of the fan on these models. Can you send me a picture of inside the machine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have it on right now, waiting to see if it kicks off. So far it is working fine (of course).Here is a link to a thread of a guy dissembling one, with pics. He's fixing something else, but hopefully you can see something useful. I'm not even positive that there is only one fan. I can see a fan all the way in the back when I have it open.Looking at it from the top (as in the pics in the link) the air intake/filter is on the front right. Fan that I can see is in the back right. Lamp is on the left, and exhaust is on the front left.http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1609002-epson-5010-6010-cinema-filter-error-grinding-noise-red-light-fix-pics.html
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I need pictures of yours, so I can see if there is anything I see wrong. That thread will not help since it is pictures of another one albeit the same model.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I'll turn it off and let it cool down. Let me know exactly what you want pictures of. If I need to do much dissembly. I'll probably have to do that over the weekend.,
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Send me pictures of whatever you can please. You can take all the time you need.