Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I bought a Lowrance Gen 3 fishfinder and a new Navonics hotmap

Customer Question

I bought a Lowrance Gen 3 fishfinder and a new Navonics hotmap east chip. The map for the Illinois Lakes that I have used it on are not near as good as those on my older SD/Prem-E2 East Mar 2008 chip. Lots of feature do not show up. you must have used a different base map. The old chip is a standard size chip. Can this info. be transferred to a micro chip and used in my new Lowrance? If so how do I do it.
Roy
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Roy,
The map data is locked to the serial number of the card. The maps can only be used if the GPS unit matches the map data to the card serial number. Therefore, if you copy the map data to a new card it won't work on the GPS because there will be a mismatch.