Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

We pulled the ipod out of the docking station, and now none

Customer Question

We pulled the ipod out of the docking station, and now none of our system sound will work. We restarted the system twice, no luck. Any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm sorry to hear that.How old is your docking station?Also were there any power outages or surges you might be aware of just prior to this problem?Thank youMike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We installed the docking station fall, 2009. No power outages or surges. We did switch zones frequently throughout the evening.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi DO you mean unplugging the power cord or something like that?Thank you I know this all may sound crazy but these are simple things I need to know ;-)TechMike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by unplugging the power cord.When we reboot the system, we unplug the main source, let it sit for a few minutes, and replug it in. We've done that several times this morning.Last night, our guests turned off the system by pulling the ipod out of it's dock. The sound hasn't worked since.Another potential source of the problem might be that we were continuously changing zones for music last night prior to the ipod being undocked.Hope this adds some greater clarity.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you that is what I was asking;-)This unit has likely got a failed power supply. This happens when these units are plugged and unpluged to AC power.these supplies dont handle that very well;-(You would need thave this serviced by an experienced technician.If you would like I can recommend what the best thing to do would be. I wish I had better news for you on this but this one is not a do it yourself project unless, you have soldering skills and a good multi meter. If you do, please let me know and I will help you change the part.thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Your assessment is inconsistent with our previous experience with this system. We do have a trusted installer who we will consult with tomorrow (we were hoping to get the sound fixed today). After we get his opinion I will provide a rating for the service.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi thats fine;-)Its something I have a lot of experience with so I'm pretty sure on that.I wish I wasn't and had better news.I will be here when you need me, have a nice day.Tech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.