Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a DAV-HDX285 system that show push power protector on

Customer Question
it. I have disconnected...
I have a DAV-HDX285 system that show push power protector on it. I have disconnected everything and turned it off for over a day. still the same thing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2015
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems. If that message stays on the Sony with nothing connected to it at all (no speaker wires specifically), then the output stage is shorted and requires replacement of these parts. Are you looking to repair this yourself?
yes which parts and how
hello
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only... Initially, there are two(2) possibilities:• low or missing voltage / power supply issue [IC901 and/or IC921] (least likely);• auto-protect mode is kicking in due to a failure in any of the five (5) output power pack IC(s) [IC3150, 3250, 3500, 3300 and/or 3400](most likely). Does the "...system that show push power protector..." exhibit itself immediately upon plugging back in or only after attempting to turn on?
after I turn it on
I understand; then, it would be as posted above "...auto-protect mode is kicking in due to a failure in any of the five (5) output power pack IC(s) [IC3150, 3250, 3500, 3300 and/or 3400]..."
OK how can I determine which one and how easy are they to change. Also, where can I locate these parts
There are actually 7 of these output power pack IC(s) but these 5 are the ones prone to failure.All of these are mounted on the main board with a heatsink attached on top.A bit of a challenge determining which has really failed as it would require de-soldering each of the output power pack IC and using a test jig. Without a test jig, determining which has failed would require patience; ...lots of it. There are 44 pins per IC.Of course, it is also possible for physical signs such as a pin hole, a burn hole, a crack or even a cracked chip.
Louie, Technician