Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Logitech Squeezbox Boom no longer displays clock in the power…

Customer Question
Logitech Squeezbox Boom no longer...
Logitech Squeezbox Boom no longer displays clock in the power off position
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/30/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think the first thing to try is, in the Boom device's settings: BoomSettingsDisplayScreensaversWhen OffDate & Time That may not be the solution, but let me know what result you get... and if it doesn't fix the problem, I will offer another solution.

Have tried all possible settings in Display - Brightness and Screensavers. No solution there. Screensavers in power Off offers only one choice - None. I have never seen an option for Date & Time. Doesn't it sync with the PC it's reading?

A few months ago I upgraded my home Wi-Fi network and therefore needed to reconnect all of the devices using the new network ID & PW. Devices use a Windows 7 PC. When I reconnected the Squeezebox, the clock was gone! The screen is totally blank with power off. However, the clock keeps perfect time, the alarm works, and if I hit snooze in the power off position, the clock displays for about 5 seconds. AFAIK, the unit works perfectly except for the clock problem.

Try turning the Screensavers to Off.
Then go back into Screensavers, from the beginning, and see if there is a
When Off
option, in which to select 'Date and Time'. Or see if there is a 'Date and Time' option. Or, with Screensavers turned On again, see if there is a 'Data and Time' screensaver option either.

There is no single switch to turn off all screensavers. They must be turned off individually. I did what you suggested and still found no reference to Date & Time.

Does the clock ever display, when it is turned On at least?

When you upgraded your local network, did you change anything, or add a new box into the network, etc.?

When I upgraded nothing else was changed and no new equipment was linked. BTW, I also have a Squeezebox Radio connected via the network, and its clock is still displayed. As I mentioned, the clock displays for about 5 seconds if i hit the snooze button while the unit is turned off. The clock doesn't, and never did display when it is turned on.

Check the settings of the Squeezebox radio on which the time does display, comparing with the Squeezebox on which it doesn't display. If there are any differences, try the setting the way it is on the one that shows the time when Off.

Try swapping the two, in their place on the network (if it is a wired connection in both cases.)

How old is the Squeezebox that does not show the time?

I did read your reply yesterday, but haven't had time to address all the issues.

These units are on a wireless Wi-Fi network, not a LAN. The Boom is maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Will try to get back to you tomorrow with the Boom-Radio settings comparison.

OK. I can't do it for you, so get it done in your own time, I agree that would be best. Let me know how it goes, at your convenience. Thanks.

OK. The SB Radio has an option under "Settings" called "Screen".

Screen has an option called "Date & Time". Those options only address choice of format of clock & date display. Another Screen option is "Brightness". None of these options include a setting to turn off the clock (nor is there any on the SC Boom).

Check whether the two SB radios are the same exact model according to their manufacturer's label information. Let me know, please.
I thought I made it clear that they are NOT the same model. The one that no longer displays the clock is the "Boom" model. The one which does display the clock is its successor, the "Radio" model.
I see. I understand.

I will look up the model / manual information for the Boom model, specifically, and post back to you after perusing it. Thanks for making that point clear.
Try logging into Squeezebox.com, then go to Squeezebox Home, and see if that cures the problem with displaying time/date. One person reports this is the cure to the problem.

However, there is another possible cause: you may have to turn up the 'Brightness' setting. The coming-On of the time display, when you hit Snooze, indicates this could be the problem... the display is normally either too faint to see, or else it is timing out, like a screen-saver. And of course, set your Screen Saver setting, "When Off", on the Boom, to Off.

The Brightness When Off setting, can be found (unless you have a different software version! which is possible) at
Boom
Settings
Display
Brightness
While Off
and set that to a higher value.

Let me know which one of these is the solution, please - I'm interested in the outcome.

First, the brightness settings have all been at brightest throughout our dialog, and prior to it.

Second, choosing the "myswitchbox.com" setting enables me to choose date & time display for SB off and the clock does appear. However, it appears only in the smallest type (it always had been displayed in the largest) and the type size setting to large does not change the date & time setting. Moreover, when you return to the setting menu NOT accessed through "my switchbox.com", the clock disappears!

We seem to be on the right track, but we're not there yet.

I'm glad to hear that some progress has been made. Tell me:

when you return to the setting menu NOT accessed through "my switchbox.com"

- what does this refer to, exactly? (I presume you mean 'mysqueezebox.com' actually, but what is the setting menu not accessed through that site? how do you get there from mys****** ?)

Typo - should have been mysqeezebox.com. If you want a laugh, check out squeezebox.com on the web.

When you power up SB, you may either be in a menu within the unit or one in the "mysqueezebox.com", which is a choice selectable from the above menu that I have chosen to call "NOT accessed through, etc." It attaches to whichever menu you were using when you last powered off . The two menus' options are very similar, but the whole arrangement is unnecessarily complicated IMHO.

To make sure I have not lost track of some detail owing to attention to other cases and the passage of time:- the date/time now appears, when the SQbox is turned Off, provided you access its settings through the mysqueezebox.com menu on the SQbox itself (not on a computer or other web-accessing device of that sort.)- but, that way, the date/time display is too small. Common type-size or font-size adjustments in settings do not change that. If that's a god summary of the case so far, then go into the "menu NOT accessed through [etc.]", and see if the date/time size can be adjusted there, to be larger. Then, once it is adjusted to be larger when the SQbox is still On, switch to the other menu - see if1. the date/time displayed whenever, is still large enough, and2. whether that persists even when the SQbox is turned Off. Let me know what this finds out, and what happens. Thanks.
Your conclusions are correct. Will get back to you after the weekend.
Why is your system trying to close me out? This issue is not resolved!
I don't know - what message did you receive?

At any rate, getting back to me over the weekend or after the weekend is fine.

Since last week I've received three messages from your system asking me to rate your performance so you can get paid and asking if I have other questions for another $24. These messages offer no way to continue the conversation or notify someone that we're not finished. I certainly don't hold you personally responsible for this, but my confidence in the system, which is awkward to use, is declining.

IYou said, "go into the "menu NOT accessed through [etc.]", and see if the date/time size can be adjusted there, to be larger. Then, once it is adjusted to be larger when the SQbox is still On, switch to the other menu - see if..." But that menu is the one we've been dealing with since the beginning and we know that your suggestions don't work. It would be helpful if you could observe the total set of menu options and understand how they work. There are at least 40 options in the total menu structure, some of which are duplicates which produce different results.

I have one new observation. In the menu accessed through "mysqueezebox.com" screensaver for SB idle is the full size date & time. Accessing the same option in the other menu does not.

I'm sorry to hear that the 'idle time' of the JustAnswer system seems to have given you messages that your current status-of-the-case makes seem irrelevant. I'm also not sure I have made enough progress, and I am Opting Out, in case another Expert here at JustAnswer.com as any insights into the case that I didn't hit on. Thank you for your patience.
Russell H., Service Tech