ricke1973
ricke1973, ELECTRONICS
Experience:  DEGREE IN ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY
10191312

I have an issue with my benq w1080st

Customer Question

I have an issue with my benq w1080st. I have it celling mounted, its in my living room and the temperature is 70 degrees so I know its not too hot. All the fans are working. I ordered a new bulb from BenQ and replaced the old one. Now when I turn it on, everything comes on fine but after a couple of minutes the fans run harder and the red lamp light comes on solid and the projector shuts down. How do I fix this?

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  ricke1973 replied 2 years ago.
My first question is, was the lamp you replaced, did it look blown, if so you may have a defective lamp, or you touched the lamp with your fingers, in which the oils of your skin will reduce life very quickly. another issue is the lamp cover isn't as secure as it was. I would make sure to do a visual on the unit make sure its clean inside the unit. make sure to get a new lamp, and when it arrives do not touch with your hands. your issue seems to be simple to diagnose, if you replaced because old lamp went bad and its obvious it did, then your new lamp is the problem, and this isn't rare that new lamps are problematic. any questions let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i made sure everything was clean and tighten back up. i inspected the bulb and it wasn't blown...i get a picture but only for a couple minutes. i also wore nitrile gloves when i handled the bulb during install.

Expert:  ricke1973 replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but the original board was obviously blown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the original bulb was not blown it was just past its life cycle. i just changed the bulb because i it was just its time.

Expert:  ricke1973 replied 2 years ago.
I see, that explains it all, then your old lamp should work fine, that should explain that your issue is the new lamp, be careful of where you purchase lamps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i don't have the old lamp anymore...and i bought the new lamp directly from benq

Expert:  ricke1973 replied 2 years ago.
Tell benq the lamp is defective, if you haven't already done so. Not sure what has actually happened. but just from what you posted, your unit was working ok, you just decided to replace the lamp with new one. and discarded old lamp which did work. once new one was replaced unit didn't work correctly. Its a simple diagnosis for me and you, the new lamp is defective. And i tell all customers who i have done work on there projectors, or dlps, always keep a spare lamp in the closet, if the old one still work i wouldn't get rid of it.