Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Having trouble to set up keyboard

Customer Question

Having trouble to set up keyboard
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If it is a wireless keyboard, be sure to
1. Have the USB dongle for it handy
2. Have the batteries in the keyboard (which, having no cord, has no external power supplied to it, and must have internal power to work) definitely fresh batteries and inserted correctly with regard to + and - poles
3. Install the keyboard software and driver from the software disc that came with it, on your computer, before trying the USB dongle for the keyboard and before expecting it to work, at all.
If it is not a wireless keyboard, some of the same things apply, as follows:
1. make sure it is plugged in properly, and not plugged in to the mouse port. The keyboard port is generally color-coded purple, but this is not a universal rule. If not color-coded, you should be able to tell which port on the computer is the keyboard port and which is the mouse port, by looking closely at the computer's case next to those ports.
2. if it is a USB-plug-in keyboard, troubles with that are usually and best solved by trying the USB jack coming from the keyboard, in a different USB port.
3. and a USB-plug-in keyboard may need a special driver be installed from a software disc, as the wireless keyboard does.
Let me know more specifics, and I will advise you more specifically.
Thanks.