Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Olympus HD/3D quit working while recharging a battery

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/23/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.I would like to ask whether there was a thunderstorm or electrical storm anywhere within 8 to 15 miles of your location when the failure happened. And also, whether the charger was plugged in directly to the power outlet, rather than through a surge protector or other power filtering device. If it was, then it is quite possible that the camera failure was owing to a spike or surge on the line. A surge protector for all electronic devices of any value is an investment that always pays off in the long run. Is the camera completely 'dead', in appearance? Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over 2 years, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?