Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Had a Surface Pro 2 connected to a 27MP65 and a 27EA33. Worked…

Customer Question
Had a Surface Pro 2...
Had a Surface Pro 2 connected to a 27MP65 and a 27EA33. Worked just fine. My new Surface Pro 3 wont recognize the 27EA33. What is wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/22/2015
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Richard, Customer Service
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of the wifi router your trying to connect to please
this is not a router issue. I am trying to connect two monitors in addition to my surface pro screen. Worked fine with the surface pro 2.0 which was purchased at Windows 8 then upgraded to 8.1. Purchased surface pro 3.0 yesterday. I am using the surface pro 3 docking station to connect to the two LG monitors. The 27MP65 is working fine but the 27EA33 is not recognized. It remains black.
Thanks, ***** ***** the codes where the SSID of the routers.
If you connect directly to the surface instead of the docking station, does it then work?
Yes, sorry. My husband said he had tried that. It worked for just a second then went black again.
Now the project to a second screen option in the windows display personalization area is gone.
Can you confirm the monitor works from another computer please as if it went black then it looks to be a hardware failure and I want to ensure the monitor is working.
Yes. I just reconnected it to the old surface pro 2 and it is fine.
Now if you connect it back to the surface 3 by itself, what happens?
Now it displays ok. Still just connected directly to the screen. Not my multiple monitor setup.
Now I have the project to a second screen option back in windows.
ok, it looks like not enough power is getting to the monitor which can be a limitation with the surface 3
What happens when you connect both monitors?
The screen that worked originally now does not work. I am having to use adaptors in both cases to go from usb to HDMI on the one and from mini HDMI to HDMI on the other. The usb adaptor is a usb 3. Tyring to determine whether usb port on the surface itself is 2 or 3.
OK so specs say the port is usb 3. The material re multiple monitors I am reading online says this pro 3 (i5 processor) is capable of driving up to three external displays.
whats the make and model of this adapter? As the info you read refers to the display port not the USB
Both monitors work when plugged separately into the old surface 2.
The 27EA33 works when plugged into the new surface 3 using the hdmi port.
The 27MP65 works when plugged into the new surface 3 using the hdmi port.
The usb adapter works with either monitor on the old surface 2.
The usb adapter does not work with either monitor on the new surface 3.
So my question is does the surface pro 3 usb port NOT drive external monitors? And is not, does the docking station fix this?
No it does not, and no the docking station does not change this.
So it was available in the surface 2 but not the surface 3?
Yes, it uses the HDMI port.
Thank you, ***** ***** you've done all you can for now.
Your welcome
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you