Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My new Revel 110 makes a loud hum in music where the low…

Customer Question
My new Revel B 110...
My new Revel B 110 makes a loud hum in music where the low bass kicks in. It interferes with listening to the music. I turned the power switch from auto to on, thinking the sw would not "surge" when called to make low freq sounds.
Also, on the power switch is a position called "trigger",I think.
Any help you could give me fitting this new, tricky, big splurge sw into my system would be really appreciated.
Edward Dishell
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/2/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It could be that your hum problem originates in your amplifier or other output device, to the sw.
However, it's a new device. If you bought it in a store where it can be taken back and tested, that would be ideal.
However, you can try 'trigger' if you want. Being the power switch, though, I interpret that to simply be a power-saving option, that only triggers it to turn fully On when it is triggered by sound input.
(As for Auto versus On, I'm not sure... but it hasn't solved your problem.)
Such a hum almost certainly indicates a problem in the sw though. Either it's utterly wrong for your configuration (in which case, it really ought to be muffled, rather than having a loud hum), or it's basically 'broken'... in which case, return it for an exchange, to the vendor, before the return-exchange period runs out.