Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Have a Garmin SL 40 that's been in my factory built light sport

Customer Question
plane for 4 years Now the...
Have a Garmin SL 40 that's been in my factory built light sport plane for 4 years
Now the radio had interference done times and the ATC cannot hear us when engine at low rpm
We changed the Ac battery and the voltage is good
But there seems to be interference when PPT is keyed in
Reception on receiving seems ok but transmitting goes dead at times
Should we take the radio out for a test or is it the push to talk switch?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
5/18/2015
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
If the problem developed suddenly, then the PPT or microphone may be the cause of the trouble.
Try swapping out the mic and check if the interference goes away.
If that does not help, then there may be a loose wire or bad ground somewhere - check that all wiring is secure and the ground connections are good.
Pete, Electronic Engineer