Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Bose 151 speakers worked last year. They are mounted on pool…

Customer Question
Bose 151 speakers worked last...
Bose 151 speakers worked last year. They are mounted on pool house. This year, no sound. learned this when purchased new receiverm=, and still no sound.

Any ideas as to what may be a "quick fix" before I spend $190 on a new pair of speakers?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/5/2014
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 3 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. So regardless of receiver, and assuming you also tried different speaker wires and connecting the speakers locally at the amplifier, there is still no sound from the Bose 151's correct?

If so, this is very bizarre because each speaker houses (3) 2.5" drivers, and the chances of all three drivers failing in both speakers is slim to none.

There's a couple of ways to go about finding what went wrong. Either grab a multi-meter and check the two binding posts on each speaker for ohms. Each speaker should be reading between 4-6 ohms provided they are functional.

Or remove the 6 screws on the back of each speaker then disassemble the shell. There you'll see a wire coming in from each binding post terminal, with the red running to a small fuse then distributed tot he three drivers.

Again, this is bizarre, and I would double check the wiring you were using to make sure that there is continuity through the entire wire, as well as bringing each speaker directly to the receiver/amp location and locally connecting via a short length of fresh wire first. This is just to rule out some variable that we cannot see.

Provided both speakers still do not work, then this would be most likely a fault on the in line protection fuse on inside of each speaker- as the chances of all 6 drivers failing is very slim unless some intense weather conditions were had that affected both speakers.

Let me know what you find, and also how long you've had the Bose speakers for please.

Hello Aric,

So, again I went outside, took some fresh wire, and connected both speakers. one at a time. individually. Had one of my speakers which works on stand-by, and yes sound came out of that one. so, both Bose speakers. No sound.

Tested Ohms. Full disclosure. When I turn the multi-tester to the 200 ohm scale, it reads 1. Reads 1 at any scale for that matter. When I touch the leads of the multi-tester to each other (I have an inexpensive tester I generally use for continuity/voltage checks only) it ultimately reads ~1.2 - 1.3 ohms. When I touch the two binding posts on each speaker, no change (a "1" to the leftmost location.)

I am next going to try and remove the six screws from the back of the speakers, but wanted you to know I am still troubleshooting.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the meter, there's no way that the leads touching each other would read higher than when testing the Bose (it should always be lower), so this leads me to think that something is not correct with the meter or the setting perhaps. However, if you can test another speaker using that same meter and you read around 6 ohms, then we can also be sure the meter is working and set fine.

Also let me know what you find when you remove the screws on the back of the Bose speaker and pull the chassis apart.

If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to rate my service accordingly as this is the only way I am credited.

You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.

OK Aric, thank you.

I went outside to the Polk Audio speaker that works, and it read ~5.2 ohms.

By any chance, do you happen to know the type of screw head those six screws have?

Thanks for the reply. The Polks are reading right at what they should be, so that was a good test. Regarding the screw type, that I cannot find any information on. Is there any chance you have a small flashlight you could inspect the heads with? They are likely Torx bits, but again I'm not certain.

Hello again Aric,

As far as seeing down the hole opening, using a paper clip to clear out the cobwebs, and it appeared as if I was looking at the bottom of a fastener. Looked at the front, and the screws enter from the front.

And that means I need to take the grill off, which looks as if it was assembled by NASA it is so precise.

So, any ideas as to how to get the front grill off?

Steve

I'm sorry about that, all I could see was the screw locations on the back recessed in those holes. Regarding removing the grill, it's a pry-off type that is compression fit into the front bezel, and may have several points of adhesive around the edges. I would suggest using a heat gun around the perimeter and gently prying with a flat instrument such as a knife or a thin flathead screwdriver. Sorry they don't make this easier to get into.

Hello Aric,

Thank you for your patience.

I don't have a heat gun, but could try a hair dryer.

After about 5 - 6 years (estimated age of speakers which have been outside on the wall of the pool house all that time) my guess is the plastic is nowhere near as elastic as it used to be. Not sure what type of plastic it is, but it doesn't seem like typical PET or PTFE like material.

When I try and pry with two small flat head screw drivers, it seems as if it can be "shaved off" it small increments.

I'm am thinking it might be a better to cut a small hole in the front of the grill, just enough to get the screw driver in and turn the screw. Yes, I would have to "patch" each of six small holes to keep out small creatures. But wanted to ask.

Based on what you know, am I now wasting my time, and should I suck it up and buy new speakers?

Or, quit whining, and try the hair dryer?

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve- and these are valid concerns. Offhand what would give you a 1 ohm, or dead short reading on the speakers, is that the voice coils on one or more of the small 2.5" drivers in the Bose have seized up. This typically happens when humidity attacks the voice coil and causes it to corrode which fills the gap in the magnet and causes the speakers to seize. Since this is the most likely culprit, you could replace the drivers in the speakers by doing a bit of DIY, and get a couple more years out of them. Since they are roughly 6 years old however, they may not really be cost effective to repair. Given the time, labor and cost of replacement parts, you'd be into these for what a new set of speakers with warranty would cost in my opinion. However if you wanted to repair these for use as a backup set, and are looking for a project, then it might be worthwhile.

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

OK. Now I see. Made one small hole at upper right screw, and when unscrewing, and pulling up, the grill came off. So, I now know how that goes on. With the grill off, there are two small green wires (could be oxidized copper?) from each binding post to the front of the speaker. Took the other grill off - appears to look very much the same.

Seems pretty self-contained. Where would those drivers be located? Can the speaker by taken apart (P/N ********* ?

Steve

Please post a picture of what you see.
2014-07-05_160925_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_161530_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_161541_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_161806_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_161819_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_161853_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg2014-07-05_162153_dscf5908.jpg2014-07...jpg
Okay so you've got the speaker exposed. Now once the screws around the edges of the speaker are removed pry underneath the frame of the speaker to pull it out and then use your meter to check the ohms of each individual driver. Also another check is to push down on the center of the cone and see if any of the drivers are seized or make a scraping sound when the piston is pushed downwards. Let me know what you find.
Yes there are two wires per speaker, that's normal. So, please postback with the results of pressing on the cone and also what impedance you get on each speaker.

I am thinking there may be a misunderstanding on my part. There is one speaker, but you say there are 3 drivers. These drivers are not exposed correct?

When you say to press on the cone, do you mean the black thin-film plastic cone, very thin, on the front of the speaker in the center? To press on this and see the ohms?

Okay according to Bose specs on the 151, there are three small drivers in each cabinet. I can only attest to what Bose is stating here. You're saying there is only one driver per cabinet? Okay if so, what I am asking you to do are two different tests:

1) Push down on the cone from the top of it. Not just the center but the entire moving portion of the speaker. The speaker bounces up and down when music is playing. I need you to push down on the speaker cone (the paper part), and see if it scrapes or is seized up (not allowed to move down). That is one test.

2) An unrelated test using the Multi Meter is to place the red and black probes of your meter on the red and black wires on the speaker that you showed in the picture and see what you get for an ohm readin directly on the speaker itself.

Moves up and down fine. No problem.

Multi-meter test is same as before...1.2 - 1.3.

Okay, 1.2 ohms indicates both of these drivers are shorted in the voice coils and need to be replaced. Are you looking for replacement drivers for these cabinets? If so let me know and I will dig for them.

OK Aric.

When you say drivers, you mean the single replacement part which I refer to as a speaker. The P/N is *********

With this part, I would disconnect the wires from the existing voice coil, and place the new voice coil in, and voila, I would be good to go, yes?

Yes the driver is the actual speaker inside the cabinet. The part number you posted is XXXXX'd out by the site (they think you're giving me your phone number). However the original Bose driver is not available for this speaker, so we would need to use a substitute- which is fine because in all honesty the Bose driver is not built that robustly. One thing Bose has never done is stepped up and used modern tech in their drivers. I would personally suggest using the Dayton aluminum cone, cast frame woofer with rubber surround at the link below. It's performance with top the Bose driver, and it costs about half the price.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs100-8-4-reference-full-range-driver--295-352

The screw holes will not line up with the original, but a couple of pilots with a drill will take care of that, and then fill in the old screw holes with a bit of silicon.

Did you need further assistance with this problem?
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric
I purchased the Dayton speakers. Will attempt installation once they've arrived. Thanks for the help.
Thank you. Could you please click the smiley so that I am credited for my work?