Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Has a device been invented to bypass TV ads in real time?

Has a device or program...

Has a device or program been invented to zap (bypass) TV commercials in real time? For example, the default channel that would play when a commercial is bypassed or zapped would be the next favorite channel if such were not in a commercial break as well, and so on to the next favorite channel until such time that entertainment programming (vs. a commercial) would play in lieu of the commercial.   I am aware of recording devices that can bypass commercials, but can commercials be automatically bypassed in real time by some device or program without necessitating the viewer changing the channel manually / by remote control? Are coded signals broadcast or transmit with programming and commercials that distinguish the two such that a receiving device could filter out one versus the other? Beyond pressure by advertisers to prevent commercial zapping devices to be sold, are there any regulations against commercial zappers being produced and sold on a mass or even small market basis? How to end the scourge of unwanted advertising over real time TV/Cable without having to record and filter the program for playback at a later time?

4/5/2013
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Joe
Joe, Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

There is no way to bypass live-time commercials, in recordings yes but not live.... the commercials are built into the programming by the company providing the channels. If your trying to just switch to another channel and then switch back once the commercials are over, the only option is to switch the channel manually.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back for my help at any time.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses
are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face please instead
reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are
negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for
those 3 do I get paid for my work. If for any reason you are not satisfied please
reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you.
Please also note that while I try very hard to correct the problem online for
you, however not all problems can be fixed in this way. The deposit you placed
when you opened the question is only a deposit and does not pay for my services
until you click accept or one of the smile faces then I get paid for helping
you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the
product. If you have any problems for
any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe
Joe, Mechanic

I am still looking for an answer to another part of my question (as per my original submission) and that is the question of regulation: Are there any laws against the manufacture of a device that could automatically bypass / zap / or change channels in real time when a commercial is broadcast / transmitted? I ask because I believe there was some lawsuit several years ago by a consortium of advertisers who blocked or tried to block some technology that could zap commercials and I believe it was in real time versus recorded time. If that lawsuit was successful, did that create "case law" such that no manufacturer should attempt to use commerciial zapping technology (or invent something similar)? If not case law, was there any federal or state law that was subsequently passed to prevent commercial zapping in real time? Or has "the better mousetrap" that can genuinely zap commercials in real time just not been invented yet, but if it was, it could go into production without case law or statutory law to prevent it's manufacture and sale to the public? There is a genuine need for the product and potentially a HUGE market that would buy it. But if laws have been enacted to prevent commercial zapping in real time, then that's a non-starter for anyone who has or can "build a better mousetrap," as it were.

I am sorry but since that is a different question regarding law, I cannot answer that 2nd question as I am not an expert in law and since it is a law question I am not allowed to answer that, that 2nd question would need to go over to the law category.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, Mechanic