Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Hi - having trouble setting heart rate zones in my edge 500.

Customer Question
I've set correct zones in...
Hi - having trouble setting heart rate zones in my edge 500. I've set correct zones in TC and on Garmin connect but neither seems to synchronise HR zones correctly? is there a way to set the max HR directly in the Edge 500 unit?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/2/2012
Electronics Technician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 5 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Still waiting for an answer.
Electronics Technician: Dr. Fix-It, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Technician

Please bookmark this page, CTRL D http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-dr-fix-it/ please wait.....processing;

Hi please reference pages 22 - 24 of the manual for heart rate zone settings - http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Edge500_OwnersManual.pdf

&

There is a basic reset or factory reset can do to clear any device issue -

graphic

Sorry, but this isn't helpful at all..the manual you refer to (which I am perfectly capable of reading, and have read) doesn't give instructions for setting max heart rate in the unit - it suggests setting the HR data in Garmin Training Centre (TC) or Garmin connect, which I have already done, several times. My problem , as specified in my original question, is that the settings in TC and GC DO NOT SYNCHRONISE WITH THE EDGE 500 unit. The unit maintains its default factory settings (max HR 185bpm despite repeated attempts to synch. I have also already tried a factory reset of the unit, to no avail.

Have you checked the following steps below :

A heart rate zone is a set range of heart beats per minute. The five commonly accepted heart rate zones are numbered from 1 to 5 according to the increasing intensity. Garmin fitness devices assign heart rate zone ranges based on your maximum and resting heart rates set in your user profile.

`

When using an ANT+ accessory with your Garmin Fitness Device, it is possible to lose connection and experience problems trying to pair the two products. ANT+ accessories include the Garmin Foot Pod, Speed/Cadence Sensor (GSC 10), and Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). If you find that your Garmin Fitness Device is unable to pair with your ANT+ accessory, consider the following:

• Activate accessory within the main menu of your Garmin Fitness Device
  • Restart the scan for your ANT+ accessory
  • Change the battery in your device (see product instructions for additional details)
  • Update Garmin Fitness Device software using myDashboard
  • Ensure the GSC 10 magnet is as close to the sensor as possible without touching
  • Ensure the HRM is tight as possible without being uncomfortable

If you have attempted the troubleshooting steps above, continue with the recommendations below.

1. Remove the battery from the ANT+ accessory
  2. Leave the battery out of the accessory for 30 to 60 seconds
  3. Place the battery back into the accessory with the positive side facing up

Once these steps have been followed, activate the accessory in the appropriate manner:

• Garmin Foot Pod - Shake the Foot Pod to simulate movement
  • GSC 10 - Press the reset (white button on accessory) button on the GSC 10 and look for the button to show a red and green flash
  • HRM - Wet the sensors on the HRM before putting it on and get your heart elevated

Typically incorrect heart rate data originates in the Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) and not in the device. If your device is reporting high heart rate spikes or an irregularly low heart rate there are a few things that may be at fault.

To eliminate erratic heart rate data:

• Ensure the HRM is worn close-fitted
  • Warm up for 5-10 minutes before an activity
  • Reapply moisture to the sensors using water, saliva or electrode gel
  • Wipe the sensor clean with a dampened towel
  • Try a cotton shirt or wet your shirt if suitable for your activity: occasionally synthetic fabrics can rub or flap against the HRM creating static electricity that interferes with heart rate signals - this step can eliminate this possibility
  • Reposition the HRM: sometimes better readings can be obtained by shifting the front of the HRM, with the Garmin logo, to the side or back - instead of leaving it on the chest
  • Avoid strong electromagnetic fields and 2.4 GHz wireless sensors: these interfere with your heart rate monitor; examples may include very high voltage power lines, electric motors, microwave ovens, 2.4 GHz cordless phones, and wireless LAN access points

~

You can update your birth date, gender, and weight within Garmin Connect and send it to your Edge 500.

~

Garmin Connect gives you the ability to add your FTP value and transfer it to your cycling device, along with your age, weight, gender, and training zones for speed and heart rate.

To insert and transfer FTP to your device:

1. Connect your Edge to the computer
  2. Log-in to your Garmin Connect account
  3. Choose Settings
  4. Choose Training Zones
  5. Choose Cycling
  6. Expand Power Zones
  7. Manually input your FTP
  8. Select the %FTP tab
  9. Manually input your %FTP, if needed
  10. Choose Save
  11. Select Send to Device
  12. Press the Continue button once device is found

The FTP and the other fitness data will now transfer to your device.

*FTP can only be inputted in the Edge 500 through Garmin Connect. All other Edge models that are power meter compatible can manually enter FTP

Again, not helpful. FTP is a threshold power-related value, it doesn;t have anything to do with custom setting of HR zones. Nothing you have cut-and-paste from the garmin websites and manuals addresses the question I have asked. As said before, I've already tried the relevant things the manuals suggest.
I suspect you know less about this stuff than I do...I'm afraid you're wasting your time and mine.

Hi There are only few things that can try like basic reset or initialization to resync devices with data specifications updated. Yes may be best to call to confirm the process in case missing a step : Australia Customer Support: 1800 235 822
Australia Fax Number: 02 8882 6150

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.