Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a problem with FM reception on my AKAI AT93L tuner.

I bought the tuner in...
I have a problem with FM reception on my AKAI AT93L tuner. I bought the tuner in the mid-90's, it performed brilliantly. For most of the last 10 years, it hasn't had a lot of use but I kept it for occasional use. The problem began as a sudden loss of signal accompanied by loud reverberant noise. When switched off and restarted some hours, or days, later it usually performed without a fault for several hours but then the loss of signal and loud noise would 'erupt' again. It has now become a constant fault. The AM bandwidths work fine.
I wonder what the fault might be, and whether it's repairable within a reasonable cost.
I would still like to continue using this tuner but I need to decide on the question of possible repair and cost. Michael Canavan, Milton Keynes.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/26/2012
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom may indicate a low or missing FM supply voltage or a capacitor of the FM +15V line that may be charging/discharging.

Offhand and after a review of the schematics / Service Manual, primary checks on likely suspects would be:
  • failed any of the 3 μPC1163HA (least likely);
  • capacitors C16 and/or C17 (likely);
  • regulator transistor TR10 (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Are you familiar with electronic components, have access to / comfortable in the use of a multimeter and perhaps even a soldering iron/hot-air station?

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

I am not into DIY in electronics, a field that is far too specialised for me.
I am considering taking the tuner to another local electronic repair firm for an assessment, or possibly to a north London workshop (recommended to me).
There is the possibility that a required replacement part might no longer be available from the manufacturer or parts supplier. So I want to limit possible waste of time & expense by obtaining a calculated indication from an expert what the problem might be, and how likely it could be fixed at reasonable cost by a competent technician.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Would you care to offer an opinion on how costly the repair might be, assuming that any replacement parts are still obtainable, if I bring the tuner for repair to a competent technician? Michael C.
The cost of replacement parts are reasonable/inexpensive. To have an idea, for the regulator transistor TR10, the Part Number is XXXXX and may be inquired HERE. The capacitors are similarly inexpensive and readily available from most electronics part stores including Maplin. If any of the μPC1163 would have to be replaced, the replacements may be inquired HERE.

The Service Fees would be largely dependent on the going rate in your location; likely the equivalent of USD 50 to 75.
Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician