Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

How do I print using bu-10 bluetooth from my iphone?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/13/2012
Electronics Technician: TX_Engineer, BSEE replied 6 years ago
TX_Engineer
First, your IP90 supports bluetooth, but only though an "optional" adapter.
That adapter is not easy to find. The one that I've managed to find costs about $110.00:

http://www.negustore.com/products/Network-Hardware/Printer-Servers/Internal/BU-10-Bluetooth-Adapter-for-i80--IP90-v.html

If you already have the adapter, please let me know so I can approach the solution in a more appropriate manner.
bu-10 is the bluetooth adapter. It is installed in the canon ip90 printer already. I turned it on & turned on the bluetooth on my iphone 4s. I selected print & iphone 4s went to printer options - select printer. It responded, looking for printer.
Then it responded, "no airprint printers found. I do not know how to pair.
You're already ahead of me. My apologies for assuming you were missing the adapter!

First, check to see if you have Canon Utilities installed on your computer. You need the utility to pair the printer to the phone. I may be able to find the utility if you don't have it.

1 Click on "Start," then "All Programs," then "Canon Utilities," then "i90 Setup Utility."
2 Click on "Change" under Bluetooth settings located on the bottom third of the setup utility.
3 Enter "0000" as an initial passcode, then click "OK." (or choose your own, you'll need the passcode to pair)
4 Verify the model number in the next window, then click "Send."
5 Click "Start" in Windows, then click "Control Panel." Double-click on "Printers and Other Hardware," then "Wireless Link."
6 Under the Bluetooth tab, click on "Add." A connection wizard will start. Click on "Next" to get started.
7 Select your printer model, then click "Next."
8 Select whether you want to authenticate before a user can use the printer. If you choose that authentication is necessary, you will need to enter the passcode from before to use the printer.
9 Keep pressing "Next" in the following windows, then "Finish" to complete the installation and pairing. You can disconnect the USB cable and print wirelessly now.

On the phone, being the pairing process, the printer should be discoverable.
Once the phone and printer are paired, we may need to install an app that allows for touch printing, but lets get them paired first.
Note, the instructions are included with the install CD, at least that's what cannon says... The printer manual says nothing about this process, but refers the user to "Bluetooth Unit BU-10 User's Guide (Windows)" - this is fairly hard to find.

Once I found it, it's only available as an "exe" - which is typically considered a dangerous download. It's simply a very old documentation format. It then has to be uncompressed and viewed in a browser.

Basically, I can make the manual available to you. The download is found on this page:
ip90-user-manuals

If you're not familiar with unzipping and viewing a website locally, I can spin up a website for this manual so you can view it...

I have my doubts about compatibility here, if this bluetooth adapter is as old as the bluetooth manual, I'm not terribly optimistic about how well this will work. Bluetooth devices are fairly flaky to begin with, but we'll cross that bridge when we run out of options...
TX_Engineer

I am installing the driver.

No problem. It's actually the cannon control that you're after, which is part of that install. The cannon control can trigger the blue-tooth dongle to be discoverable and set that inital passcode... I think this is the major part of the pairing that you were having problems with.

It's certainly not very obvious.
cd that came with this printer is stuck on 626 of 702 mb.
Unfortunately, I can't make the CD work.
What I can do is have you "download" the software from Cannon - sometimes they update it or provide the windows verison.
The link to download it is:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip90#DriversAndSoftware

Click on "drivers and software"
I was able to download. I went thru steps you gave me. I got all the way to #6. The wizard did not discover the printer.
Err.. I err'd a bit here, the instructions would be for connecting a bluetooth enabled computer to a computer via the Bluetooth connection.

The steps up to 5 setup the printer. Instructions on step 6 are for connecting the PC to the computer via bluetooth, eliminating the usb cable.

So here is the bad news:
If you don't have a jail broken phone, apple does not allow you to connect to a bluetooth printer. The only "offical" bluetooth devices that are allowed are headphones and earpieces.

However, if your phone is jailbroken, you use an app called "IBluetooth" (from the app store). Instructions on configuring it are here.

I feel that I got you a little off track here by not checking on the Iphone side first (as I assumed it would allow connecting a bluetooth device). I see that you've already "accepted" the answer. I have no control over billing, but I'm only looking to give correct answers and I didn't do that initially... I can't reverse the charge, unless you request it, but if you request it, I can make sure that Just Answer backs out that accept... I'm US based and 100% ethical - I don't want to be paid for support that was not provided right initially.

If, by chance, your phone is jailbroken, I'll continue to support the questions...
TX_Engineer
TX_Engineer
TX_Engineer, BSEE