Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Looking for a CD clock radio similar to the Bose Wave system

Customer Question
but with more flexibility in...
Looking for a CD clock radio similar to the Bose Wave system but with more flexibility in sound settings (don't like the bass heavy sound of the Bose). CD must resume playing at the point where it was playing when the system is turned off, either manually or by the sleep timer. Suggestions? Charlotte XXXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/10/2012
Electronics Technician: Eng. Andres, Engineer replied 5 years ago
Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
hi, thanks for using JA:

There are a few alternatives to Bose wave System, like Cambridge SoundWorks, Panasonic SC-HC3 or Phillips DCM250. To recommend which of them can be best for you, I would need to know your preferences for the unit. Can you order the functionalities in descending preference order?(the first is the functionality that you most want).

Price, Sound Quality, Sound power, Docking for iPod, Size.

Regards!

1. resume feature after turn off, even overnight (most important)

2. bass/treble controls - I listen almost exclusively to speech, not music

3. Digital radio; good FM/AM sensitivity; clock radio with alarm and sleep timer; aux-in

4. Remote would be nice.

5. About the size of Bose Wave or smaller

6. Small room-size power.

7. Price - least imprtant if I find what I am looking for. I have been searching for years for a CD with resume that has built in speakers.

8. No docking for iPod necessary

hi,

Thank you for your repply,

In that case, your unit should be Yamaha MCR-040BR. You can purchase it in the link outlined bellow-you can choose color and if you want or not the wireless remote to operate the unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MCR-040DG-Micro-Component-System/dp/B002UXQKG8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Why this unit? I will try to explain I have chosen this one:

1. It has resume feature. Actually, you can also configure a timer feature, which will playback a configured audio input in a configured time.

2. The Bass and tremble adjustments goes from -6db to +6db, which a huge range. Also, the frequency range of the speakers are also very very good, 50Hz - 18kHz. It also has Advanced YST Technology Delivers Big Bass Sound. Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology (YST) is a major reason for the high performance of Yamaha speakers, and is especially suited for small speakers. The CD receiver and speakers work together, using negative impedance drive to produce small low-frequency signals, which are enhanced to large outputs by precisely designed speaker cabinet and port. The result is powerful, accurate bass that seems to be coming from a much larger speaker.

3. No digital radio and AM radio. How ever, it do have FM radio, audio input and USB input for pen drives.

4. It has remote.

5. Dimensions (W × H × D) .............................. 180 × 120 × 309 mm
(7 1/8 × 4 3/4 × 12 1/8 in)

6. Perfect, 15 W per channel.

The price is also good.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Regards! if that helped, please, don't forget to accept my answer!
Lack of digital and AM radio disappointing. Does the unit have an alarm feature and sleep timer? Please say a little more about the timer feature you mentioned in #1. I wasn't sure what you were describing. Does the CD player pull in CD's from the side or is it a raise the top and put in the CD type system? Can I click on the link you gave me to see the product and still get back here for a question to you? Surely there must be a product out there with the features of the Bose system but allowing the user to set more of the parameters (Bose has a Talk Radio setting, but it turns off automatically I when change stations and doesn't completely solve the too much bass problem anyway.) Charlotte
hi Charlotte,

Yes, I know that lack of AM and digital radio maybe disappointing, but this is an outstanding unit. You may also consider buying and external digital radio receiver, which would be quite cheap.

Here is a picture of the CD tray:

The timer sets the unit to play back music at the time you set. The unit is set to standby mode after the specified running
time elapses. And it has the usual sleep timer, the sleep timer sets the unit to the standby mode after the specified time elapses.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Yes, you can go to other webpages and come back here to ask me anything. Here is the link of you question, where you can find me anytime:

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/6i8vw-looking-cd-clock-radio-similar-bose-wave-system.html

Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
I've looked at the Yamaha you recommended. It lookes good but I have the following questions. When I dial up "without wireless remote" the picture still shows a remote. When I dial up "with wireless remote" the same remote is shown but with an additional part shown on the opposite side of the page (price also goes up). What does this added wireless remote do that is different from the remote that seems to come with the lower price unit? Without it what kind of remote do you get? Also, you said no digital radio, but when looking at the remote it seems to allow for digital type tuning and setting presets. I didn't think this was possible without a digital radio. Is it possible to get a card-reader that plugs into the USB that would read (play) my audio SD cards (they are regular, not micro cards and produced on the CC Crane Witness).Thanks for your help. Charlotte
hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your repply,

Yes, the wireless control unit is for docking the iPhone wirelessly-the name is actually very confusing-. This wireless device is different from the IR remote controller-which operates de Yamaha units. If you are not going to use an iPod with this system, buy it without the wireless adaptor.

I have uploaded a picture for you to see the IR remote controller layout:

It allows presets, but only for FM radio, not for AM radio, as the tuner of the unit is only FM.

Oh and yes. Actually, in the USB port, you can connect any USB Mass storage device, including SD card Readers, external hard drives, flash drives or even some MP3 models.

Charlotte, if you have more questions, really, don't hesitate to ask me ;)

Regards!
Thank you for all the good information, especially the part about the wireless remote. Charlotte
You are very welcome,
I spoke to you on 4/10/12 about a clock radio similar to the Bose Wave system - my top priority, the CD must resume where it was playing when the unit is stopped and turned off. You recommended the Yamaha-MCR-040. I ordered and received this system. Nice, but it does not seem to have the resume feature which was the reason for ordering it. I have read the instruction manual, but without success. The only mention of resume involved the iPod and not the CD play back. What happened? Am I wrong and is there a resume feature hidden somewhere in the menus? If I am right, do you have suggestions for systems that do have the resume feature? Charlotte
hi Charlotte,

OK, when did you use the resume feature? Could you explain me the steps-just a little description-of the steps that you have done to program the resume feature?

Regards,

Turned on the unit -- it came up to CD. Inserted a CD; it started playing from Track 1. Skipped to Track 2 and let it play a little then then pressed Stop. CD stopped. Pressed Pause/Play to see whether the disc would resume in Track 2 or go back to the beginning of Track 1. It went back to Track 1. I wanted it to resume play where it was when I stopped it, that is in Track 2. I also tried just turning the unit off without stopping the CD, but that had the same result -- Track 1. So far the only way I have found to have it resume at the same point is to pause the CD, but since I want to turn it off overnight and have it resume in the morning, this is not practical. I have looked at the menu under set-up but nothing seems to apply. I also tried Shuffle and Repeat thinking there might be something there, but there wasn't and these features are turned off when the unit is turned off. I also tried setting the Timer -- could set a time, but the other setting was for 10, 20. etc. which must have been the Sleep Timer. Also the manual says that the Timer function shuts off after it has turned the unit back on, so I would have to set it every time I wanted it -- not a resume feature. The only reference to resume refers to the iPod (page 12 of the manual). Help! Is there something here I am not seeing? Charlottte

hi Charlotte,

OK! Got it. Yes, unfortunately, if you press the stop button, you will loose the current track information. We will perform a trick that should work for your unit. Once you are listening to a CD, press the Pause button. Then, program the Slepp Timer so the unit will enter into stand by mode within the specified time. Once the unit is on StandBy mode, you should be able to press the play button and resume the playback. PLease, remember that to set the sleep timer you have to press the SLEEP button on your units remote.

With in this method, the unit should retain the track that was playing back.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you very much,
I followed your instructions, but found that unless I used the on/off button the unit did not listen to my request to take it off pause and into play. Once I turned the unit on, it started as usual with Track 1. Unless you have further ideas, I will probably return the unit although the sound is much nicer than the Bose Wave system - which has resume as its default setting - and the capabilities of this unit are greater in terms of USB, etc. Any other suggestions? If not, I will go away, and not bother you further. I am very curious as to why the resume feature is almost never included on CD players with built-in speakers (I've been looking for several years and Bose is the first I've found), although it is available on nearly every portable CD player I've tested. Do you know of anyone who could answer this question? Even people who listen to music don't always want to start over at the beginning each time, and since I listen mostly to books on CD, starting over is not desirable -- nor are the shuffle or repeat features so readily available! Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

You cannot weak up the unit from stand by using the remote control? If you press the play button in the remote or in the front panel, does the unit wakes up?-It should.

The problem here is that most systems tend to optimize the stand-by power consumption-it's obliged by law within EU and UK. So likely, the unit does not memorize the last track played to safe on energy consumption within the stand by mode.

Thank you,
I tried the play button on both the remote and on unit itself and it did not respond. Thank you for you help and information. I am planning to return the unit. Charlotte
hi Charlotte,

You are very welcome,

Oh, it's a pitty, as you won't find any unit with better sound quality that this Yamaha. It's also posible to use a portable CD player with your Yamaha unit, as it has AUX audio input. You would use the portable CD player to playback CDs, with the autoresume feature. The problem of this setup is that you would have to turn on and off both the Yamaha unit and the portable CD player. I'm not sure if you would be interested in such setup.

Regards!
Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer