Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I HAVE A USED (JUST BOUGHT) 2004 YAMAHA 48 VOLT GOLF CAR. I

Customer Question
HAVE THE JW2-H2107-01 CHARGER. JUST...
I HAVE A USED (JUST BOUGHT) 2004 YAMAHA 48 VOLT GOLF CAR. I HAVE THE JW2-H2107-01 CHARGER. JUST HAD IT MADE STREET LEGAL, LIGHTS ETC. TOOK A RIDE TODAY AND PLUGGED IN THE CHARGER WHEN I GOT HOME. 2 HOURS LATER WENT INTO THE GARAGE AND I COULD HEAR THE BATTERIES BOILING AND HAD THE SMELL OF BATTERY ACID. THE CHARGER WAS TOO HOT TO TOUCH SO I UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING. WHEN I PLUGGED IT BACK IN I SAW THAT THE CHARGER FAN WAS NOT WORKING. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
MIKE
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/21/2012
Electronics Technician: romr2009, Electronics Engineer replied 5 years ago
romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Electronics category.

• Disconnect the charger from the battery.
  • One of the cells in one of the batteries is shorted out.
  • You need a voltmeter to check which of the 6 volt batteries (8 total) is not producing 6.3 volts.
-----

• If you are using 12 volt batteries (4 total), check each battery for 12.6 volts output.
I NEED TO TEST THE BATTERIES FIRST
  • Correct.
  • Do you have a digital voltmeter?
I tested every 8 volt battery with a volt meter and hydrometer. all six batteries were 8.47 or above. every cell was at 1400 or above.
http://www.giantbatteryco.com/GLOSSARY/Specific.Gravity-Industrial.Batteries.html

• 1.400 is very high. 1.285 is the standard for deep cycled batteries. (62% water and 38% acid)
  • Even at very cold temperatures the Yamaha manual only specifies 1.280
  • It sounds like someone added a lot of acid to make the batteries perform better at the cost of shortening its life.
  • This changes the charging characteristics considerably and automatic charging is impossible without boiling over.
  • You have to monitor charging if you want to keep using these batteries.
romr2009
romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer