Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

fix dvd player "HO2" error? (panasonic DVD-S1)

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/4/2012
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).

Follow the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.

You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first (which you've tried) is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.

If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at Staples, or Wal-Mart). Open the CD drawer, or remove the cover of the player by removing the screws on the sides and rear of the unit. Then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.

If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean. If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

I have a can of air and alcohol, I just don't have time to try this tonight. What do you think the chances of this working are? It's a fairly young unit.

I have no way of knowing for sure. I've done this many times, and in 75% of the cases, it fixes the issue. It is really the only "user friendly" method of trying to fix this problem, and really all you can do aside from sending the unit out to be serviced, or replacing it.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician