Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Magnavox console stereo / record player, Model No.

Customer Question
1ST680A. I was playing a...
I have a Magnavox console stereo / record player, Model No. 1ST680A. I was playing a record when I heard a light 'pop' sound and the turntable quit playing. There is no power now to the turntable although there is power to the radio which functions just fine. There is nothing like the sound from these old consoles playing vinyl and I would love to get it running again. Are we talking a simple part replacement or do I now have a very small radio in a very large cabinet?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/29/2011
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

The "pop" you heard was very likely an old dried up capacitor shorting and exploding. Any caps over 15 years old are suspect and NEED to be replaced. Other items like resistors should be checked for heat damage, or burn marks on the board.

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The picture at the link shows a leaking capacitor (a blown capacitor will literally have the side blown out of it and looks like a soda can that was shot with a shotgun):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.m ikerepairscomputers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Bad_Capacitor_01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mikerepairscomputers.com/blog/hardware/bad-capaci tors-your-computer/&h=600&w=800&sz=114&tbnid=JA6P6E-fpa5A1M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfaulty%2Bcapacitors%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=faulty+capacitors&docid=Jfij2k-0Zi2uuM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PS67TrjyHa_KsQKfh4m8CA&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAg

Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at the sites below:

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the unit is powered up.

Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

My question was basically 'given what I told you' and if your diagnosis is correct, does it make sense - to repair / have the repair done, can parts be found - to repair the unit?
Yes I assumed that was a given seeing as I linked you to parts suppliers and also showed you how to locate which caps you'd need. So, in answer to your question YES.
Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician