Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

my sony stereo goes to protect mode when i turn the volume

Customer Question
up just a little -...
my sony stereo goes to protect mode when i turn the volume up just a little - how do I fix
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
10/25/2011
Electronics Technician: PBMFIXS, Trouble shoot and Repair replied 6 years ago
PBMFIXS
PBMFIXS, Trouble shoot and Repair

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Does it work ok if you move the volume up more than a little?? what type of controller? slide button, or knob??

How old is the stereo??

Thanks again,

Charles

It's 8 years old with knob controller. PROTECT flashes on screen when volume reaches between 34-40. It's a Sony Digital Audio/Video control center FM Stereo/ FM AM receiver strk740p
It only does it at this spot?
Works fine until I go over 35 on volume button and then flashes protect mode

I am going to opt out of your question so that another expert may help you better than I can,

Thanks,

Charles

Thanks for trying
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Electronic Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Master Electronic Technician
Greetings, the protect mode is designed to prevent any possible further damage from occurring when there is a problem. Most likely the audio output of one of the channels is drawing too much current at higher volume levels. This can be caused by problems with your speaker wires, speakers or in the electronic circuitry of the audio output stage itself. Depending on how many speakers you have, you should be able to adjust the Balance and Fader levels to isolate one speaker at a time and then raise the volume up each time. That should help you isolate the problem and then examine your wires and try swapping speakers to see if the problem changes to another channel.

If you need additional assistance, please let me know.

Dan, Master Electronic Technician
Dan, Master Electronic Technician