Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Ive used an optical digital cable from apple tv out into the…

Customer Question
I've used an optical digital...
I've used an optical digital cable from apple tv out into the back of the Marantz AV dig-5 input but can't find how to access that input to play sound from apple tv through my AV system.
help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
10/19/2011
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

DIYrescue :

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question. Please remember to click the accept button if you are satisfied with my answers.

DIYrescue :

This is a fairly common problem. Since you are using an hdmi hub (switch) the apple tv is probably seeing it as a threat to the HDCP, and not wanting to put out the audio.

DIYrescue :

You are on the right track with adding an optical cable.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

Yes, but I can't access the sound input on the MArantz. The sound input i=on the MArantx for the optical dig cable is called DIG-5, and I can't find how to access that input so I cna hear the sound form the AV

DIYrescue :

Just so I understand your setup, do you have all the components routed into the hdmi switch, which then goes to a single hdmi input on the marantz, then on to the tv?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

yes, I have no problem getting apple tv visual on the TV, or sound from apple tv on the TV speakers, just can't get sound from the MArantz

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

what's going on?

DIYrescue :

How are the other components like the bluray and cable box audio connected to the marantz?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

by various means, there are two speakers and a woofer.

DIYrescue :

I'm sorry, I meant are you using optical or coax digital connections for them, or just RCA cables?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

all three

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

why do you keep exiting the chat?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

all i need is someone who knows how to access the Dig-5 sound input on the marants - where the optical cable is plugged in on one end, and plugged into the apply tv optical dig output on the other.

DIYrescue :

Have you tried cycling through all of the different inputs on the marantz (source menu options) It is likely that you are just not tuned into the correct input assigned to the optical port.

DIYrescue :

This is accessed through the setup button on the front panel of the marantz.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

the set up button?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

there is no "set up" button on the front of the MArantz surround sr 7000

DIYrescue :

There should be a button, on the front panel of the receiver, to access the internal menu settings.

DIYrescue :

It may be on the remote, if not on the front panel.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

there is no remote except for my universal harmony 550 and by scrolling through that menu for the marantz i cannot find that particular input

DIYrescue :

It may not have been included in the programming group with the IR code setup on the harmony.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

so what do I do?

DIYrescue :

Have you tried just changing the sources (input) selection or plugging the apple tv into a different, unused optical port, like the CD port for example?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

the cd port is not a dig-opt port

DIYrescue :

Ok, I'm sorry it's been a few years since i've worked with one of the SR7000 models.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

the only open INPUT that's an optical dig female input to correspond to the apple tv dig optical output is something labeled DIG-5 on tha back of the marantz Audio IN

DIYrescue :

If you connect another device through the optical input, such as the cable box or dvd, do you get sound?

DIYrescue :

This will determine if the problem is with the apple tv or with the receiver.

DIYrescue :

Another test is to power off (unplug) the apple tv, disconnect it from hdmi, but leave it connected to the optical input, then power on, and try to see if you can get any sound through it (you'll have to "send" music to it from an itunes computer, etc)

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

it's not that. The AV receiver works great for everything. i just can't find out how to CHOOSE dig-5, either manually on the font of the Marantz, or through my universal remote.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

any chance of a phone call?

DIYrescue :

Sometimes the apple tv will refuse to output both optical and hdmi audio simultaneously. If it works when connected to the optical only, then you know that is the case. This can often be fixed by doing a firmware upgrade on the apple tv, from within the appletv settings menu.

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

how do I do that? An dwhy would I need a firmware upgrade if I bought it yesterday?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

you seem to be working on several diffent jobs?

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

this does not seem to be working out. You don't know the marantz

JACUSTOMER-hf7zxqhs- :

I'm signing off. I can'.t pay for this. Thnx for trying.. but--

Nathan, Engineer