Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Is there any value for primestar satellite receivers

8/17/2011
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner

Will :

Hello, please do not accept if the answer does not help. I try to keep the accept button off until I get feedback the answer is a help.

Will :

Primestar Satellite Receiver General Instrument 300D

Item condition:Used

Price:US $25.99
Buy It NowBuy It Now

Will :

PRIMESTAR GENERAL INSTRUMENT 301D SATELLITE RECEIVER

Item condition:Used

Price:US $7.48
Buy It NowBuy It Now

Will :

Primestar Satellite Receiver - Model 301D

Item condition:Used

Price:US $29.95
Buy It NowBuy It Now

Will :

depending on model there is value some more than others

Will :

PRIMESTAR 9 satellite remote INRC-30 300D

Item condition:--

Quantity:

3 available

Price:Original priceUS $12.00Discounted priceUS $10.20
Sale ends in 4 days

Buy It NowBuy It Now

Will :

Looks like the remotes are more value than the receiver, always check local ads, many people take old electronics apart and scrap out any silver or precious metal parts they may give more than a unit for use

Customer:

I am a former Primestar dealer and have 20 or so.. I believe most are model 301D. Are they all used. Is any co. buying them as salvage or for use in third world countries.

Will :

Well not sure in your area but in mine the local TV repair buys old receivers and sells them to dealers in Mexico, but any particular company is going to be a scrap company as far as Primestar goes, you have the more valued units, but check with your local TV repair company they are likely to be your best buyer in bulk, or run a free ad in one of the local trade magazines

Customer:

Is there enough silver or maybe gold in these units to really warrant disaasembling and retreiving

Customer:

also give me the name of your TV guy who sells to Mexico

Will :

I will have to look him up, he is like 70 and is a thirty year RCA TV GUY it will take a minute to find his card, I dont junk much, if at all I ran into him working on a Samsung problem and we got along but are not buddies, as buddies go, the Mexicans take TVs and try to build morphed sets out of them as far as the components, some do have some have silver content in them but the labor must be horrible, but hell people keep cans and do it daily not for me but some people dont put value on their time

Customer:

Thanks so much I realize this may not be your area of expertise, but any contact with a third world may be my best bet to get something for them. Your advise has been very helpful. and I will save this site for my next electronics questions. They come all the time.

Customer:

I am a 30 year satellite tv dealer all venues. How could I get set up to do what you quys do. I am a pretty good phone trouble shooter. I am very interested.

Customer:

Mac

Customer:

starband not starbandf fat finger error

Will :

To get on here you simply pick a category, then you submit all your info for your schooling and experience, then pass an online test, once they check your references and verify your training, you get some training on here by video just click on become an expert

Will :

trust me it is not a money maker, you start with half or less never get to much more than a little above half including tips they take a portion if you get a tip, it is really more volunteer by the time you are done in this category than income, too much technical stuff to explain as you know and people are wanting a magic push a button answer on why their 3 year old tv just shot craps and refuse to pay so beware it is not a get rich quick scheme by any measure

Will :

but if you like helping people and I do, it doesn't bother me try it the tests are pretty technical but you should be fine, getting all your schooling and training was the hard part for me I went to so many tech schools over 30 years I didnt keep all the plaques and certificates, I had my college stuff that was easy the trade schools was real tough I took every course I could find since high school I like learning new things so hell maybe 60 or more, I would take two or three a year, depending, but if you have verified schooling and pass the tests you will make it

Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner
Will
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner