Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Panasonic SA-HT70 On power on display show F61 - can tou indentfy…

Customer Question
Panasonic SA-HT70 On power...
Panasonic SA-HT70 On power on display show F61 - can tou indentfy cause & is it reparable?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/7/2011
Electronics Technician: Josh C, Technician replied 6 years ago
Josh C
Josh C, Technician

Josh C :

Welcome to Justanswer!

Josh C :

On this pparticular unit, F61 usually means a fault in the power supply, or more commonly a shorted internal Amplifier IC

Josh C :

?

Josh C :

have you checked all speaker wires to be sure they arent damaged or shorted out?

Josh C :

the first thing I would do is disconnect all speakers, then power the unit and see if you still get the F61 Error

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

No but they are wired in the cieling space and not suceptable to mechanical damage

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

OK will try

Josh C :

Well, I have seen rodents chew wiring more than once. If a mouse or some other creature gets in the attic space, it is very possible the wiring may have been chewed/shorted.

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

Fault still there

Josh C :

not good..

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

So?

Josh C :

did you unplug the unit after disconnecting the speakers, and then plug it back in? If not, unplug the unit, wait 5 minutes and plug it back in - then power it up and see if there is an error code - I will wait.

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

It has been unplugged since my fault still there message

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

No good - no better

Josh C :

ok

Josh C :

do you have any electronics experience, and the ability to solder?

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

Can use a slodering Iron - not very good on electronics

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

Soldering - not a typest

Josh C :

ok, well in that case, I might suggest having the unit professionally repaired.. there are many very small solder joints involved here that could be easily bridged

Josh C :

i can give you information on a low cost repair if youd rather repair the unit than replace it.

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

I would rather repair - if that dosen't work I can still replace it

Josh C :

ok. one question - when you power the unit up, does the fan in the rear start spinning?

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

No

Josh C :

ok.. there is also a possibility that it is due to that fan not turning as well. do you have a multimeter to check for voltage at the fan when you try to power it on?

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

YES

Josh C :

check to see if voltage is present at the fan connection when you first turn the unit on.

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

This will take some time

Josh C :

ok, just reply here when you get the time to test it, I will be notified

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

That took longer than I expected 1 of the cover screws was being obstinate. AC or DC what voltage should I expect

Josh C :

dc voltage

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

reads zero on 2V range

Josh C :

ok.. do you see any swollen capacitors in the power supply area?

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

All the com[

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

Fingres!!

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

All the components look ok and the 2A fuse tests ok

Josh C :

ok

Josh C :

Im not at my shop right now, can I reply when I can find a service manual for you?

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

Ok do I keep the window open or will you contact me by e-mail?

Josh C :

I can reply here, and it will send you an email

JACUSTOMER-qzsky8ux- :

OK will book mark the page