Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have an error message on my SONY stereo that says Protect

Customer Question
I have an error message...
I have an error message on my SONY stereo that says "Protect Push Power". They flash one at a time.

The owner's manual says that it's related to a short circuit problem. They suggest turning off the unit, eliminating power, then elimiating the short cicuit problem and turning power back on.

This isn't working. Is there anything else I can do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
5/12/2011
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician
Initially disconnect AC power and all of the speaker wires from the sony. Wait 15 minutes then press and hold the power button while at the same time plugging in the ac cord. If the protect goes away, then one of the speaker wires or speakers was shorted and should be repaired or replaced as necessary. If not, then the Sony has shorted outputs and is in need of repair. If you need the contact for a service center let me know.

Please click "Accept" so that I may receive credit for my time.
Aric, Technician