Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a NEC 42 plasma TV that has a very annoying Hum noise

Customer Question
coming from the main board...
I have a NEC 42 plasma TV that has a very annoying Hum noise coming from the main board at the rear. It appears to be coming from the line of transformers that sit between the Power transistors. Any ideas on where to go from here .

Tks Tony
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/6/2011
Electronics Technician: ricke1973, ELECTRONICS replied 6 years ago
ricke1973
ricke1973, ELECTRONICS

Hello [Sir/Ms], My name is Rick and Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem i would solder these transformers,, but in all actuality your probably should just order a new board..

These are some part stores, CALL THEM IF POSSIBLE always check with manufacturer, and you will need the name of the part

www.andrewselectronics.com

www.partstore.com

www.mcmelectronics.com

www.encompassparts.com

I realise that I can order new parts so this information is not particularly helpful. I wanted to know a few things; firstly is there any way of determining which transformer is causing the noise as they are very close together and even putting a screwdriver on the surface and the handle to my ear it is difficult to determine which one is causing the noise. One is an iron core square multi tap transformer and the others are round with heavy copper wire wound around an iron core. Secondly is it possible that something is causing the trannies to make a noise or more likely just faulty trannies?
There just faulty,, and if you dont want to order the board,,then you will need the specs off of these trannies,, me personally would order both,, not expensive,, trying to figure which is causing it can be difficult or time consuming,, If you have a can of cold spray,, this will tell you which is bad,, the temperature of the spray will determined the bad tranny once it hits the coil
Thank you Ricke that was helpful and I have removed the multi tap trannie and the other device that seemed to be possibly causing noise. It is a round solid metal core with coils of heavy gauge copper wire wound around it and two terminals only about 1" in diameter total. What is that device and secondly can you give me some idea where I may be able to obtain the two items. Part numbers on the devices are as follows:
Trannie- SRW4220EC-X04 TDK X 0731
Other item:
5457110003 LH101C HA
Regards Tony C
Sir,, I have done really all i can for you,, my answer is correct,, at this point looking for parts such as transformers,, it would be best for you to take them to a tv shop or radio shack and have them look it up for you,, these numbers are manufacturers codes,, nothing i can help you with Sir,,well good luck to you,, And please dont forget to press the Accept button
ricke1973
ricke1973
ricke1973, ELECTRONICS