Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

my onkyo shuts down after a few seconds and standby light

Customer Question
flashes...
my onkyo shuts down after a few seconds and standby light flashes
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2011
Electronics Technician: Md. Sadique, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer

MD Sadique :

Hi

MD Sadique :

Welcome to justanswer.com

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

Hello

MD Sadique :

The protection system has been activated because of some fault inside the receiver

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

Ok what can I do to repair that

MD Sadique :

It could either be a blown power supply or a board and it needs to be replaced.Look for either a pulled wire, or check any wires coming off the transformer where they plug into the board. There could be a cold solder joint which needs to be resoldered or a faulty capacitor in the power supply, or near the protection relay.

MD Sadique :

Are you comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry and a soldering iron ?

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

Yes I am a avioincs technician

MD Sadique :

First of lets try a reset.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

ok

MD Sadique :

Press and hold the power button and the VCR/DVR button simultaneously until you see clear message on the screen.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

it shuts down before anythng happens

MD Sadique :

Please try it once again..

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

it clicks twice then shuts down

MD Sadique :

Then it verifies its a hardware problem.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

what can I do about that

MD Sadique :

Diagnose your self by visually inspecting the large filter capacitors for bulges, leaking at the base or the solder joints. Also, you can test the output power transistors by verifying that only one leg of them are common to ground. If more than one leg is to ground then it verifies that the transistor is shorted.

In most cases the output transistors attached to the heat sink are shorted.

MD Sadique :

This way you will be able to know which one is at fault and then replace it accordingly.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

Where is the large filter capacitor located

MD Sadique :

sorry for the delay...

MD Sadique :

power supply usually contains large filter capacitors.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I see the power supply, but is it attached to a circuit board. somewhere else

MD Sadique :

Hmmm.....

MD Sadique :

give me a minute....

MD Sadique :

sorry for the delay.

MD Sadique :

I was looking for a service manual.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

k

MD Sadique :

Anyways.........First of all I will suggest you to unplug the unit for 60 minutes and aslo remove the speaker cords and other inputs....then reconnect and set the volume to maximum

MD Sadique :

If it remains on then its allright other wise you will have to disassemble everything including power circuit board etc.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I already did all of that I had it off and upluged to everything for two days

MD Sadique :

Then disassemble everything including power circuit board etc. and inspect the large filter capacitors for bulges, leaking at the base or the solder joints.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

do you have the circuit board number or a way to know that I have the right board

MD Sadique :

I searched a lot but was unable to find a service manual of this unit.

MD Sadique :

Why do you want to have the circuit board number ?

MD Sadique :

Do you want to buy a replacement board.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I don't know where the capacitor is

MD Sadique :

Are you able to locate the transistors ?

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

no, everythng is packed in here

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

can i send a pic and you can tell me where to look

MD Sadique :

That would be great..

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

just a sec

MD Sadique :

sure take your time...

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

its taking awhile to transfer from my phone, i will be right with you

MD Sadique :

okay

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I need to send them as an email is that possible?

MD Sadique :

go to this website - www.wikisend.com

then upload the picture and then it will generate a link ............just give me the link

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

ok

MD Sadique :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I can not get it take the photos, it says the website is down for maintenance. The web site comes up, but it won't upload the pics

MD Sadique :

Then go to www.mediafire.com

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

k

MD Sadique :

thanks for your patience

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

I downloaded the pics now how do i make them so that you can view them

MD Sadique :

After the upload process completes..........mediafire will generate a link

MD Sadique :

just give me that link

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

there are the links to my photos of the onkyo

MD Sadique :

Thanks for the photos

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

so can you help me

MD Sadique :

Its very difficult for me to tell which part has gone bad by just looking at the picture.

It has to be throughly examined to know which part has gone bad

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

which picture has the capacitors that might be bad?

MD Sadique :

Luckily I have found the service manual for you.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

cool

MD Sadique :

Do you notice any capacitors with bulged ends , leaking at the base or the solder joints

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

not that I can tell, but everything is so compacted together

MD Sadique :

okay in that case use the service manual and carefully inspect each and every part ............then replace them accorddingly.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

How do I use the service manual

MD Sadique :

In the service manual........there will be schematic diagram,diassemble procedure,parts number and their ratings and specifications etc.

MD Sadique :

Which are required to perform the repair.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

ok how do I get access to the manual?

MD Sadique :

I was unable to find a free copy of the service manual.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

so How do I use it

MD Sadique :

But I managed to find a service manual only for 5$

MD Sadique :

Please follow this link to get your service manual - http://www.free-service-manuals.com/Audio___Hi_Fi/Onkyo/Onkyo_TX-SR805_Service_Manual_L81954/

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

How do I get back in contact, if I need any more help?

MD Sadique :

log in to justanswer.com ,open this question and reply here.

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

what is my login

MD Sadique :

Please follow the instructions in this link to get your log-in details - http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Please click ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory

MD Sadique :

Regards!

JACUSTOMER-5u5l3iwf- :

thanks

Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer