Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Pioneer XV-HTD510, I am trying to get it hooked up.

Customer Question
My front two speakers and...
I have a Pioneer XV-HTD510, I am trying to get it hooked up. My front two speakers and the sub woofer seem to be working but my center speaker and my two rear speakers are not. I noticed on the back that there are two colums where I insert the speaker wires. All the speakers connected to the left colum are working and the ones on the right side are not. What is the problem and how can I fix it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/26/2010
Electronics Technician: Will, President & Small Business Owner replied 6 years ago
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner

Will :

Full Size Image
These are the system speakers correct?

Will :

http://docs.g oogle.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:sCBQMh_uh7oJ:www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned%2BContent/ci.HTD510DVOperatingInstructions.Protected+Pioneer+XV-HTD510&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgfHEyCyf7n4GzZDN8ZexRWP2RvU8evHg8xOcer55IIVOB0f__x8qEceWHHCyQMwJmhiES1J9Wbwb2N1f3M5PGCVWzfOpM74iuF9WzpfxDCw94nQg-oxZihrs03U1NFMvODzk1l&sig=AHIEtbRGqjn2opaYpX5wUKjS98PEa7FIjg

Will :

That link goes to your speaker connections, pages 9,10, 11 read carefully and follow the prints, they are color coded with a fairly good visual connection set of instructions, note having all powered off, using their speakers, then to page 36 for more on the LINE OUT speaker connections,

Will :

front right, left and sub are on the left side, so it all adds up, there are sleeves for color coding that need to be removed, I am pretty sure you got those off, but they make a deal of it, so not insulting your ability just mentioning they seem to be saying remove sleeves, like they are used on some but not all, and if clear, maybe thin plastic or mylar, the could be insulating things and not easily visible, next move the fronts to the right, side, leave sub out, see if you get fronts from left col, to play when connected to right side, that would prove you speakers, good or bad, or insulated with a sleeve, next, it would be a right left adjustment on the sound, not fader, it would have to be set all left, worth a look, and the link is really pretty good for 2010 maybe just what you have but just in case it is a long link but copy and paste and maybe there is something there that strikes a cord with you,

Will :

if you have proved left speakers work on right side, speakers could be bad, but if moving left side connections to right and no sound, that output block could be bad, and if new, warranty, just prove a bare wired speaker that works from the left col wont on the right, the left right adjustment is middle middle, once you have that you know no sound is coming from the right because they forget to solder or crimp the back of the right side col, possible, but you can prove those two that do work easily, but I worry when they mention sleeves, why mention sleeves unless too many users had problems?

Will :

page 17 is interesting it is the default volume for each speaker setting level

Will :

run your test tone if you have not, make sure the right sound is not set down to nothing, plus they have the auto sensing surround circuit/firmware that could be wacky, and might take manual adjustment, but at that point it would go back if mine,

Will :

22 to 34 explains that presetting fm stations memorizes MONO settings, with two channels it can be dual mono could be something there, I would take all speakers lose, check for sleeving, power off, set for 10 minutes unplugged then carefully follow the color codes, with no presets, and see if that does some good, maybe resetting the power from the wall for 10 to 30 minutes might get the right side going, prove the speakers next, once you are satisfied, no sleeving no presets setting a mono memory, run the auto setup and tone tests, at the end if nothing comes from the right side, they owe you a new unit,

Will
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner