Craig
Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician
Experience:  33 years troubleshooting electronic and electrical control systems for all types of equipment.
21549903

How to reset combination for sentry safe?

I want to reset the comb for my Sentry safe but do not have the factory codes.

If this is a three-digit combo dial you cannot change it. The user code can be changed only.

If this is an electronic keypad the code is 1-7-5-0-0, then reset it to a new user code. If you have ever programmed a new user code, this number does not

work. Only for first time, then new user code changes the number. If you never changed to a new user code, this number will open the safe: 1-7-5-0-0

JACUSTOMER-qyjduax4- : This is not working (17500). What do I do because the safe is open, and bars have locked. my old code does not work anymore.

Craig : Is the 'amber' light on?

JACUSTOMER-qyjduax4- : Yes

Craig : Have you replaced the batteries yet? This is low batteries that need to be changed.

JACUSTOMER-qyjduax4- : Yes, the light goes on when I try to enter a code.

Craig : It's the batteries, you must replace them. That's what is happening, the batteries are low and will not operate.

JACUSTOMER-qyjduax4- : Ok that worked. Now my code to enter works again. How do i clear all codes and create a new one? My ex-wife had her own code, which i don't know and I had my own code as well.

Actually, I do know her code and would like to delete it. How would I do that?

Craig : There are 3 possible ways to unlock and access the safe:

1. Factory code: (Found on the first page of this guide) You can

always open the safe by entering the pre-set 5-digit factory code. This code cannot be deleted.

2. User code: If you prefer to employ your own code, you can program the safe to open using a 5-digit user code of your choice.

3. User pin: If you wish to give someone else temporary access to the safe, you can program a 5-digit user pin that can later be erased.

Programming the user code:

NOTE - One (1) user code is allowed.

To add:

1. Press the Prog key, then enter the 5-digit factory code.

2. Enter the 5-digit user code of your choice:

To delete:

1. Press the Prog key.

2. Enter the 5-digit factory code twice.

Programming user pin: NOTE - One (1) user pin is allowed.

To add:

1. Press the Prog key 2 times.

2. Enter your 5-digit user code.

3. Enter the 5-digit user pin of your choice.

To delete:

1. Press the Prog key 2 times.

2. Enter your 5-digit user code.

3. Enter 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.

NOTE: If your safe does not appear to be working, please check batteries before calling.

More about Sentry safe codes

Sentry safes have many models and sizes on the market. Some are turn dial, key pad, and some require a key be inserted as the combination is entered.

Opening a dial Sentry safe

1. If this is the first time you are using the safe and the door is opened ensure any shipping screws have been removed
  2. Find the combination on the manual (usually on a sticker)
  3. If your safe is the dual combination/key model place the key in and turn it to the unlocked position
  4. Turn the dial to 0 (zero) and turn the dial clockwise passing the number 0 three times, stopping at the first combination number on the third time
  5. Turn the dial counter-clockwise passing the second number in the combination once, and stopping on it the second time
  6. Turn the dial clockwise and stop the first time you come to the third number in the combination
  7. Turn the handle and open the safe