Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a PT-51HX42 projection TV. When I turn it on it shuts…

I have a PT-51HX42 projection...
I have a PT-51HX42 projection TV. When I turn it on it shuts off within seconds. Nothing seemed to occur before it just started one day. I have looked for reset buttons as well as unplugging and trying over. Whats next?? The red light on front flashes 3 times then pauses, then 3 again. etc.. after it shuts off.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer!

The other experts and I are working on your issue, but first...

If I understand your situation correctly, your TV turns on just fine... but it shuts off within a few seconds. Is this correct?

When it shuts off, are there any indicator lights on? Blinking? Which ones and what color?

Please advise and we'll move on.

-Dan

Yes, the main on/off [email protected] switch flashes red after it shuts off.
Approximately how long is it on? 2 seconds? 10?
The TV is on for about 2 seconds
Thank you for the information... you have confirmed my suspicion: Your unit's convergence ICs have failed.

Would you like to attempt this repair yourself (should run you circa $50 in parts, as long as you have a soldering iron and associated tools) or would you like me to research a reputable technician in your area (should run you circa $300 for total repair)?

Please advise.

-Dan

If you plan on doing the repair yourself, let me know. The part number is probably STK392-110, but whatever it is, it will be an STK something. If it's an STK392-110 or -120, replace them with STK392-150 or -180. If it's any other STK number, use the original number. You'll have to look at the board to find out. Let me know if you need help with this. You can order them by that part number from lots of places, I usually use MCM Electronics.

Also let me know if you want to opt for a repairman, I can assist in that search... OR in the search for an entirely new unit. LCDs are getting cheaper by the day, you know =)

-Dan