Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a DVD stuck in my Panasonic DMR-XW300 machine. I have…

I have a DVD stuck...
I have a DVD stuck in my Panasonic DMR-XW300 machine. I have taken the cover off and am too nervous to proceed! Very anxious to fix it ... no TV for tonight! Look forward to hearing from you. Win Jodell
6/29/2010
Aric, Technician
Hello, Initially try disconnecting AC power for 60 minutes, then upon plugging back in press and hold the eject button to see if this works. Let me know what happens.
Aric, Technician
I have just tried that, no luck. The machine had been unplugged for at least an hour. I had tried switching off before, without the cooling off time. Win
Oh dear I don't know how this works. I seemed to have to accept your first answer in order to get to ask you another. As I have said the first tip to turn off the machine had no effect. Win
That's okay, this is still an open dialogue. Can you check the front of the DVD player near the drawer? Does it have a tiny pin-hole near it, and if so try taking a paperclip and inserting into the hole and push. Some of these units have this and it is a manual release for the drawer.
No I cannot see any pin hole. I am in Australia and will have to go to bed now! Hope to catch you in the morning.
Okay I am just waking up as it is 8 a.m. here. Post back when you're up.
I was up and out this morning, such a shame. Now you will be asleep I think. I have world clock but not sure where you are in USA. It's 9.30 pm in San Fran but much later in the East. 2pm Wednesday here.

I understand the pin hole, like on top of my iPod. There is not one on the drawer of the DVD player. I have reconnected the player so as to get TV reception. Look forward to hearing from you later. Win
When you normally try to press the eject button, do you hear the eject motor trying to open? If so, try gently prying the drawer and see if it frees it up.
I have tried slipping a very fine knife in. Nothing happened. When the machine starts up there is a bit of clicking and the disk is whirring, it makes the machine vibrate. Am I charged every time You answer? I notice there has been a second payment and so I am not pleased! Wi

There should be no second charge. The only time you get charged is the initial good faith deposit, and when you click "Accept" the money goes to JA. We can keep the dialogue open as long as we want, but only one charge is made upon the "Accept" button.

Is sounds like the gears that engage the drawer are binded, or stripped and this is causing the machine to vibrate. Either that or the motor is faulty and does not have the torque left to open the drawer. The machine will either need to be repaired or replaced, if repaired then you'd need to ask the shop to retrieve the disc safely for you. If replaced, then you'd most likely have to destroy the parts of the drawer assembly to get the disc out.

oh dear sounds like the end. OK I'll find a shop or repairman here. Thanks for your help. Win
I wish there was a better alternative. I hope it works out Win. Best regards, Aric