Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

i just bought a second-hand Pioneer Amplifier VSX-AX10I and…

Customer Question
i just bought a second-hand...
i just bought a second-hand Pioneer Amplifier VSX-AX10I and after connected with all the speakers, and DVD/CD player, Sound was only accessible when the "Direct" or "Multi-Direct" function was switched on. The rest of the functions, Pro logic (movie/music), Theatre Etc. did not function as it was suppose to. what is the problem? and What needs to be fixed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/29/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, What type of connection are you using from the DVD player to the receiver?
i am not sure what it is called. The cable with the red white and yellow head and the other cable is one cable only, plugged into the digital port.
Okay, you don't need both the Red and White and the digital cable. Try unplugging the Red and White, but leave the Yellow connected as well as the Digital cable. Question, when you described your problem, did you have output in all of the speakers?

Yes i had all the output pluged in. i'll give what you suggested a go. If it doesn't work, will you have another suggestion?

Hello, I didn't ask if you had all outputs plugged in, but rather were all of the speakers working? I have a couple ideas on the issue, I'm thinking we'll need to change some of the Digital Input settings.

I connected all five speakers and one subwoofer to the system, when I used component (video) and multi ch in (audio) I was able to achieve 5.1 surround sound and sound was present in all speakers/subwoofer.
I then attempted to connect the unit up by optical cable, I then set the speficic optical input in digital input settings. In this case I was using a DVD player (Pioneer DV-S838A). I assumed that it would be fine to assign digital input 4 to DVD/LD, however when I went to watch a DVD using the optical set up, no sound was present. Although the subwoofer light on the amplifier would light up as if to indicate there was a signal passing through the amplifier, but not reaching the speakers.
I want to be able to use pro-logic etc for watching movies, will using optical or coaxial allow me to do this? I'm not sure if I am entirely on the right track, thanks for any help!
Regards

Hello, Yes Optical or Digital is designed to give you full dolby digital decoding through the receiver. Have you tried setting the menu in the DVD player to output it's audio to digital? There should be options for this in the DVD player. If you cannot find them, then could you give me the make and model of the player?

I haven't actually tried setting the menu in the DVD player to output it's audio to digital, however I have looked at the DVD player display and noticed that Dolby Digital is lighting up and the light indicator for digital audio off is not on - this in my opinnion all indicates that digital audio should be on and transmitting. I have also tried changing the audio track from 5.1 to 2.1 but still no audio.
However I am unable to find the manual, the model number is XXXXX DV-S838A.

Thanks for your time!

That is why the receiver is showing Direct In, because the Pioneer DVD is already doing the decoding. This means that the receiver is getting a pre-decoded signal, and therefore is not going to further enhance the signal- simply amplifying it and outputting it. If you have all channels working on the Pioneer receiver, then it is working as it should. In order to have the receiver do the decoding, then I believe you need to set the DVD player's output to Bitstream which cannot be done on this Pioneer DVD unit.

would it work if i used another brand of DVD or CD player connected with the same amplifier? i ask this question because i am worried about how the amplifier may be broken or have parts which are corrupted.

Well, what I'm saying is that the DVD player you're using now has that particular trait to it that it outputs the signal already decoded. The only way to tell for sure about the Pioneer amp, is to test using another DVD player or CD player with a Digital Output. It's impossible to tell what the Pioneer has wrong under the hood, but in the scenario above, it does not seem to be doing anything wrong.

Hi, I just bought a optical digital cable and conected the dvd and amp , but it is not work, I mean still no sound come out. So I think must be something broken inside the amp. Could you give a idea? Thanks!
Hello, It sounds like the Pioneer is having a problem then if you're using a new Optical cable and had the unit assigned to Digital Input. Do you know if the Pioneer had this problem before?
Hi, I have to say sorry about the late reply to you, because my internet was very slow and almost stop as it was the end of the month. Thanks for your answering. Now, I can only connect the dvd player to multi-ch input of my amprifier. It was lucky, the dvd has all the speekers output( left,right,centre, surround speekers and sub W). So, if the dvd dis with the Dolby-digital in it, then the 5.1 sound will show out, other while the sound only come out with 2 channel (left and right). it is normal? Another question is how to connect the subwoofer to the amprifier, because the subW has two input and the amprifier only has one output, thanks.

Hello, Thats no problem on the late reply.

I just wanted to clarify, when you only have 2.1 channel output, what mode is the stereo in and how is the source connected?

Also, to connect a standard powered subwoofer with two inputs to a receiver with one RCA output, you simply need to use an RCA "Y" cable splitter. One end plugs into the receiver's sub output, and the other two would plug into a set or RCA cables to the subwoofer.

Here is one at the link below:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=099-068

Aric, Technician
Thanks very much
No problem. Thank you for using JA!

Does it cause problem to the 6 onm front speakers or the 8 onm amprifier if I connect them together. What is your suggest if I had connect them? Thanks!

It is typically okay to connect 6 ohm speakers to the 8 ohm amplifier, any lower than that and you would run into issues with the amplifier getting hot and shutting down when the volume was turned up. Aside from that, there is no trick to connecting lower impedance speakers to a higher impedance rated amp, you simply should not do it.
Thanks to tell me that, If I don't turn the volume up too much, the amprifier should not become too hot, is it? Should the temperture of the amprifier become higher, if the higher watt loudspeakers be used in?

The amplifier will not become hotter with higher wattage loudspeakers, only with lower impedance speakers. Also make sure that there is adequate ventilation on the top of the receiver, and that no components are stacked on it. To get a good idea of how hot the receiver will get, put your hand on the top of it periodically to see how much heat is being generated when you're listening loudly. At worst, it will shut itself down a few times and this will let you know where the thresh hold is.