Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

the picture is not visible. the screen is whilte. I have full…

Customer Question
the picture is not visible...
the picture is not visible. the screen is whilte. I have full audio. its a 26 in NS-Ltdtvd26. whats wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 8 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer!

The other experts and I are working on your issue, but first... is the entire screen white? Top to bottom, side to side? Also, is it fuzzy at all or is it completely solid? Any flickering?

Please advise and we can diagnose your issue.

Thanks,

yes, it is completely white top to bottom, side to side. It is completely solid not fuzzy.

It does not flicker

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sometimes LCDs can get a white screen from shock (often when cleaning) or in the transport before installation or cumulative vibration effect over time (subwoofer, pets, kids bumping the TV). This is probably not the case, but it's worth a shot because the repair is free =)

The cable that connects the panel (the screen) to the rest of the internal circuitry can disconnect just enough to produce a white screen as you've described.

You'll need to gain access to the inside of the unit to check this connection. Warning, though... TV circuitry can contain lethal voltages. You must ensure the unit is unplugged and that you do not touch anything inside the unit other than the ribbon cable I mentioned. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, a technician will probably do this for around $75. It's called the LVDS cable.

If this does not fix the issue, and I don't suspect that it will, you most likely have a failed Tcon or main board. The entire panel may have failed, also... this is slightly less likely than the Tcon or main board, but if this is the case, it will be more cost effective to purchase a new TV.

The Tcon board will run you $30 and can be purchased here. The main board will run you $200 and can be purchased here. I would recommend having an experienced technician install these boards.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask... and again, thanks for using JustAnswer!

-Dan