Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

my HL-85088W DLP has problems turning on. it trys to turn on…

my HL-85088W DLP has problems...
my HL-85088W DLP has problems turning on. it trys to turn on but times out and shuts off. suggestions?
6/29/2010
Anthony
Anthony, Technician

Hello
Welcome

When it shuts off what is the status of the lights in the front ie which are blinking and which are not please?

Anthony

The green lamp light blinks multiple times and then turns off. After a couple minutes the TV shuts off and no picture ever appears. After this the red standby light stays on and the TV is off.

OK do you hear the fans come on?

Anthony

Yes they come on.

Please replace the lamp

If the lamp has been in for 2 years or more its reached the end of its life cycle and can cause all sorts of issues like this and can even damage the light engine

Available here

http://www.dlplampsource.com/e-store/prod_thumbs.asp?srchvalue=HLS5088W&srchtype=keyword&x=15&y=11

You have a choice of using your existing housing for economy however with the housing is a lot easier

Anthony

Anthony
Anthony, Technician
i replaced the lamp like you suggested and the TV still has problems turning on. It takes sometimes 4 or 5 trys before it will come on. It tries to come on during those attempts but it times out and goes into off/standby mode. This is even after the lamp has been replaced. Any other thoughts?

And you still have the same sequence of blinking lights?

Anthony

yes that is correct

OK voltage checks would need to be made on the ballast this is the little board that feeds the lamp very easy to spot trace the leads back from the lamp to it, it has to plug connections one goes to the powerboard the other to the dmd board, their should be about 300volts on one plug and 5 volts on the other from the dmd board

Do you think you can do this?

Anthony

Should not be a problem. I will check it out this afternoon.

OK just go across the plugs with the meter leads

Anthony

i checked the voltage and i had about 300 on one plug and about 5 on the other.

OK very good and well done!

This rules out the powerboard (at least for trying to supply voltage for ballast) and dmd (as the dmd supplies a control voltage)

OK please now do this audible check so you will need to get low down in a good position at the back of the set and listen very carefully for this chain of events.......

You power up the set.....you may hear the chimes........then the sound of the fans coming on..........then you should hear the whirr of the color wheel..............then the sound of the ballast trying to fire the lamp sounds like a bee trapped in a box a sort of fizz/click.......let me know if you hear these things happening or if you didnt hear one or the other,its important to get it right as for example if the color wheel doesnt spin up you wont hear the fizz/click anyhow as the set needs the color wheel to spin before moving onto next stage

Let me know on this please

Anthony

I heard all of the above sounds.

OK this leaves a number possibilitys then

1 The ballast is not hitting the lamp hard enough (electrically)to make the lamp fire up

2 The lamp is not fitted correctly in its housing/holder please re-check this

3 Their are bad contacts at the base of the holder

4 The new lamp is faulty

Obviously number one would need now to be tried available here

www.encompassparts.com enter as a guest and get the FULL model number from the back of the set your looking for the lamp ballast

This board is very easy to change

Anthony