Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Alpine CDA 7837 the visual readout is so light I can hardly…

Customer Question
My Alpine CDA 7837 the...
My Alpine CDA 7837 the visual readout is so light I can hardly see it. I have lost my owners manual and can not remember how to make it darker. Thanks Yvette
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/28/2010
Electronics Technician: AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades replied 8 years ago
AnswermanRob
AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

So that you have it for future reference, here is your manual:

LINK

I could not locate any information on display intensity. Could it be that the radio senses that the headlights are on and this is causing it to be dimmed?

Rob
You are basically saying you dont have an answer. Not helpful
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 8 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Hi Yvette, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I'm sorry you've waited so long for an answer, but I will be happy to solve this issue for you.

I am currently looking through my Alpine service manual and through Alpine's troubleshooting database... give me a few more minutes and I can have this narrowed down for you!

-Dan
Alright, Yvette... we're good to go.

One of two things has happened:

First, and probably most unlikely, the unit's EPROM (memory) has experienced a software failure that has caused the voltage going to the faceplate to decrease. Thus, the screen is more dim than it's supposed to be. If this is the case, you can reset the unit's memory by accomplishing the following:

1. Remove the faceplate
2. Locate the RESET button (very small pinhole)
3. Hold the button in using a paper clip (or similar) for at least 3 seconds
4. Attach the faceplate and turn the unit on

If this doesn't work, the second and most likely scenario (given the age of the unit) is that the backlight for the display is failing. This is very common and can be easily remedied by purchasing a new faceplate. Unfortunately, your faceplate has been discontinued and is no longer stocked by any of Alpine's supply sources.

May I help you find a suitable replacement unit?

Please advise, and I hope I have been of assistance!

-Dan

Edited by Professor Ohm on 6/30/2010 at 11:41 PM EST