Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I had a govideo R6740 on which the drive failed some time ago.

I took it to a...
I had a govideo R6740 on which the drive failed some time ago. I took it to a shop at that time, and they informed me that the maker of that model was out of business, no parts available. I left the unit there, and they have no doubt dumped it. I now discover some unfinalized dvds of family events - made on that unit - that I really need to convert to a finalized form. Do I have to find that exact model somewhere in order to finalize these dvds or was there a series of models, any one of which could finalize my dvds? How can I best locate a unit that can finalize my dvds?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
q1ok3j70.

• You can use IsoBuster to get the video data out and transfer it to your computer's hard drive or DVD burner.
  • Click on the link below.
  • You probably won't need anything but the free version.
  • The key to using IsoBuster is right-clicking the mouse button and selecting from the pop-up menu.

http://www.isobuster.com/

------------------------------

You can also finalize the DVDs on a computer with a DVD burner:

• On Windows XP, click start, select Programs, select Roxio, select DigitalMedia.
  • Click the Tools tab and click Finalize Disk.

Hello -
My preference is to finalize the dvds rather than put the videos on my computer. My system is Windows xp, and I set out to follow your instructions, but a thorough survey of everything in the programs window yields no "roxio". Now, what? Am I correct in assuming that I'm supposed to be doing this while one of the unfinalized dvds is in the computer's disc drive? When I put one of the unfinalized dvds into the drive, it makes brief whirring noises like it is trying to recognize the disc, then when I go to "my computer" and double click on the dvd drive icon, it gives me a dialog that says "please insert disc".
Use isobuster to see if there is anything on the DVD disk in question.
Thanks for leading me to isobuster. The 2.8 free download has found 15 tracks on the first unfinalized dvd and is VERY slowly working its way down the list. It is now 70% done with the 15th one, but I am concerned because there is a big red X to the left of all 15 tracks. I hope that doesn't mean that isobuster couldn't do the job. Any way, the help you've given is much appreciated and as soon as I get your reply I'll press "accept answer".
q1ok3j70.

• Good luck.
  • If Isobuster can't do the job, nothing will.

romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
One last question - do the red X s mean that isobuster can't do it?
q1ok3j70.

• The red x means that the file is damaged, but that doesn't mean Isobuster can't recover the data.
  • You just have to wait till it finishes to see the results.
  • Let me know what happens.

Romr
O.K., Isobuster is still working on the 15th file, so I'll wait until its work is complete, then see what has been accomplished. I'll let you know.
ok
The Isobuster process is finally complete. I now have a large isobuster 3.8 window with two smaller interior windows. The left window simply shows the existence of 15 tracks. The right window has the same 15 tracks, each with a red X to the left of it, and to the right of it is information about how many mb of data is in each track. In the same area is also a column with the heading LBA, which I don't know what it is about. I have no idea what to do next to see if this dvd is now somehow accessible.
Right click one of the tracks to see your options.
I right-click on track 2, and I get a window with the following options:
extract track 2
create a managed IBP/IBQ image file
create cue sheet file
extract from-to
scan for file system(s)
find missing files and folders
add customizable file system
sector view
create a list of known erroneous sector addresses
i properties
extract track

How big is the track file?
most are between 130 - 243 MB, several are less (as small as 31 MB), one is 2.8 GB.
The size is a good sign.
Most DVDs use MPG or MPEG formats and can be played with Quicktime or Windows Movie Player.

Romr
So...what do I do next?

• All the tracks have to be extracted to the hard drive.
-------------------
  • If you want to play the files on a DVD player you need DVD burning software to put the files in a specific format that all DVD players can understand. (The computer DVD player is much smarter and more flexible than the standalone DVD player.)
  • I only have use for data DVDs for computers and I have no experience with making movie DVDs.
  • Roxio and Nero are examples.
  • There is also free DVD software on the internet.
------
  • You can also use the software on public library computers:

Romr
My hard drive has 55 capacity, free space 16. I am concerned about running out of free space if I extract these large video files onto my hard drive. That's why I'm inclined to try the roxio at the public library to finalize the dvds. Is it possible I could somehow mess up and lose the content while trying to do this at a library? If I did put one on my hard drive, would I be able to burn a dvd that would play on a stand-alone player and then clear it off of my hard drive?

p.s. I know I should find a way to compensate your continued attention to this project, but I don't know how.

• The capacity figures have a G (billion) or M (million) prefix.
  • If you have 16G free you need to hold 5.5G in reserve.
  • That leaves 10G for about 2 single layer (4G x2) DVDs.
--------
  • If you have 16M free you are in big trouble.
--------

• I would extract the tracks from the DVD first to your hard drive desktop at home using Isobuster just in case.
  • Append the prefix ".mpg" or ".mpeg" to the name of one of the extracted tracks then double click the icon to test play the track.
-----
  • At the library, only Roxio or Nero will recognize the unfinalized DVD so you have to open Roxio or Nero before you insert the DVD.

Romr
I have 16 GB free space, so I am going to extract the tracks of the one dvd to my hard drive before taking it to a computer that has roxio.

- how about the p.s.?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX staying with this.

G.P. Suddeth
Don't forget to test play the tracks.
I think the 2.8 GB track is the actual movie, the others may be the sound and support stuff.

You can start a new question with the lowest possible price -- the bonus amounts pay 75% instead of the usual 50%.

Put "...follow-up question... Romr" in the title since I don't usually look at the low value questions until all the high values are done and I have time to kill.
O.K., I'll put in a "new question" identical to this: when I click on "extract", I have to chose between 4 options:
extract user data (.tao, .iso, .wav)
extract RAW but convert to user data (.tao, .iso, .wav)
treat as video ONLY, extract but FILTER only M2F2 MPEG video frames (.mpg)
extract RAW data (2352bytes/block) (.bin, .iso)
-which one?

• use the video only (.mpg) to test play the track.
  • use raw data (.iso) for backup in case the DVD disk self-destructs.

I will be back tomorrow.

Romr
I tried to follow your direction, but got a dialog that says "sector unreadable". So I'm going to take it to a computer that has roxio or nero. Wish me luck.
ok