Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

i have an Kenwood VR-2080 reciever. when i plug it in, i hear…

Customer Question
i have an Kenwood VR-2080...
i have an Kenwood VR-2080 reciever. when i plug it in, i hear a click and the power/standbye indicator blinks. i have no display, and no output. The same thing happens when everything is unplugged from the reciever, including speaker wires. I am not sure where all the fuses are, i found one on the panel with the ac cord but it is ok.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/27/2010
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, This is a direct indication that the speaker outputs are shorted inside the unit. There is only one main fuse for AC power, then rest of the power up is handled by non-replaceable relays inside. The reason the unit is clicking off, is that it detects the short in the output transistors and is "Protecting" itself from further harm. The unit definitely is in need of service to have the faulty outputs diagnosed, cross-referenced and replaced. This is PCB level soldering, so I would not recommend it unless you've done it before in the past. I can send you the contact info for Kenwood's Service Center locater if you'd like.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!