Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a bearcat 300 channel radio(hand held) scanner. Listen…

Customer Question
I have a bearcat 300...
I have a bearcat 300 channel radio(hand held) scanner. Listen to the channels when quilting at night. I need a book that tells me how to delete channels and add channels.
An all around instruction book. We did not get one with it. #311z44000869 Serial #
The police went to new system and we tried to get it reprogramed but on the 1 channel it does nothing but buss(like someone has the phone off the hook and forgot to close it)
What can I do??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/26/2010
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome,

I have a link to the manual below. This is a PDF file that you should be able to view just by clicking the link.

Owner's Manual

Please review the manual and let me know if you have any other specific questions.

If so, I will need to know what city or town you are in, a what services (police, fire, etc.) you want to listen to.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

We have theWaterloo/Cedar Falls Iowa channels Waterloo and Cedar Falls Fire and ambulance Iowa State troopers

They just installed a new system a couple of weeks ago. Not even the fire department could get hold of dispatch. They done this at 3am in the morning all were in a panic over it. Radio Shake is the only ones who would help people so they could get their scanners to work again.

I went to them and got some channels back and that is when the #1 on the scanner started to squake and would not scan onto other channels.

I went to them and got some channels back and that is when the #1 on the scanner started to squake and would not scan onto other channels. So far you are great.

Hi again,

Can you tell me a little about the buzzing?

Does it sound like a "data" signal that repeats over and over?

If so, that sounds like the data channel for a trunking system.

Can you tell me what shows on the display when the scanner stops on that channel?

Thanks

It sounds like a weird bussing sound. simular to loud siren Ive heard it near electXXXXX XXXXXnes. It is only on Chanel #1 11Small (NNN) NNN-NNNN The other ones are ok if it would only get off this chanel. the scan does not work on this chanel-stays on and won't go to the next.
It just stays on that channel and makes the sound.

Hi again,

That sounds like it may be the "data" channel of the new "trunking" system.

Hopefully to folks at Radio Shack set up the scanner to decode the system and put in the proper "group" codes or IDs. Since your systems are relatively new to be set up, I don't have the specific codes - yet.

Try pressing the "Trunk" key (TRNK) on the scanner and see what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Nothing happened when I pushed trunk.

Hi again,

OK - Let's see if we can lock out that channel.

When you have that particular channel displayed on the screen, and you are in SCAN mode, press the MAN (Manual) button. This should stop the scan and display HOLD on the bottom of the display.

Once that is done, press the L/O button (bottom row) and that should lockout that channel during the scan. Then just press SCAN again and you should not hear that data channel.

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Sorry it did not work. I will have to take it back to Radio Shake and hopefully they can fix it. I do appreciate your help . Thank you and accept your answers and help.

Sincerly yours betty j boe @netzero.com

These things can be tricky to operate, depending on the mode they are in.

What you are at the shack, try to ask them for a list of frequencies and channel ID for you the new radio system, as them seem to be aware of the changes.

Good Luck, Greg A.