Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

my tracfone that I have had for several years has become inoperable…

Customer Question
my tracfone that I have...
my tracfone that I have had for several years has become inoperable and I purchased a new one. I was told that I could transfer the number and the minutes from my old phone to the new phone. How can I do this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/26/2010
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 8 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
1. Go to the TracFone.com website and click on the green square that says "Activate Phone, Add or Buy Airtime".

2. Toward the bottom of the next screen, click "Activating or Reactivating a TracFone".

3. On the right side of the next screen, click "Existing TracFone Customer".

4. Create an account (if you haven't previously), or log in with your existing credentials.

5. Select the option that says "Activate my TracFone with a number transferred from another TracFone".

6. Now we start the nitty gritty of the procedure to transfer TracFone number and minutes between the two phones. You'll identify your phones with their serial numbers. Then you'll go into Code Entry mode on your old phone and enter the results you see on a web form to complete the transfer. So let's go . . .

7. Entering the serial numbers allows you to transfer TracFone number to the new phone. On the Phone Upgrade page enter your new Tracfone's IMEI number. Below choose the phone from which to transfer. If your old phone is not registered in your account, then "click here" to add it to the list. With both sets of information added, click submit.

8. Now you will transfer TracFone minutes to your new phone. You have to go into code entry mode on your old TracFone. You must follow your specific instructions on the webpage, as instructions differ from phone to phone.

9. If everything goes okay, you are asked to confirm that you will be getting the right number of minutes. If the number is XXXXX go ahead and confirm it. If something isn't right (phone number or number of minutes), you'll be asked to contact customer service.

10. That's it. Now you turn off and on the new TracFone and wait for the minutes to actually be transferred to the physical phone. You get the usual 20 minutes and 60 days of service for activating the phone.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

Edited by Professor Ohm on 6/26/2010 at 5:39 PM EST