Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

How can I set up an audio solution for a TV hanging on the…

Customer Question
How can I set up...
How can I set up an audio solution for a TV hanging on the wall at a restaurant playing commercials. The problem I'm having is that the sound from the TV sounds too quiet when lots of customers are around it talking, but too loud when the restaurant is quieter. I want to set the sound and have the sound automatically adjust up when it gets noisy in the room and then back down again after the noise in the room gets quieter. I know some car stereos have this function.

The TV is an Emerson 42" plasma. Model PL-P42W-10A
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 8 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Some TVs have an auto-adjusting volume feature called Dolby Volume or Dynamic Volume. However, they adjust the volume based on what is coming from the source... not what is going on in the room (i.e., it'll take the edge off of a loud commercial).

There are no commercially available products that will accomplish what you desire. Sorry.

I suppose if you wanted to engineer a feedback/loop system, you could. A microphone whose mV output was somehow tied to the voltage regulator that controls the speakers might be a start... though this is purely theoretical.

Hope this helps...

-Dan
The auto adjusting volume feature was my next question. Do I rally have to buy a different TV to get these features? Can't I hook up special sound equipment to take care of these 2 problems? If I do Have to buy a different TV, which TV's have auto adjusting volume?
No, you do not have to buy a new TV to get Dynamic Audio. There are TVs that do it, and there are home theater systems that do it.

I'd recommend going the home theater system route, anyway. Not only will it cost you less money than buying a set with Dynamic Audio, but the sheer dB output will be considerably greater... and if you're looking to put this in your restaurant, I'd say this is definitely the way to go.

Here are a few mildly priced Dynamic Audio setups that I'd recommend:

Onkyo HT-S5200 (7.1 channels w/iPod dock, $500)
Onkyo HT-S3200 (5.1 channels, $400)
Sharp BD-MPC41U (5.1 channels w/BluRay, $600)

Just for peace of mind... a decent 42" TV with Dynamic Audio will run you $850, bare minimum.

Remember, though... none of these adjust the volume based on what is happening in your establishment. They do so based on what is coming out of them.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

-Dan