Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I just recently bought a Rovio electrical car/toy I want…

Customer Question
I just recently bought a...
I just recently bought a Rovio electrical car/toy

I want to connect two 6v 100mA flexible solar panels to it in parallel for a total of 200mA to the battery when i use it outside.

The battery the car has is a 6V 3000 mAh NiMH rechargeable battery.

Is it possible to charge and use the battery at the same time?

I was thinking that I would connect the + end of the panel to the - of the battery and - to the + or would it be ( ++ and --)?

What would the effect be on the battery if i used a 7.2v 100mA panel instead?

Do I have to worry about over charging the battery with the panels? I read that NiMH batteries have an ability of getting rid of the excess energy when full as heat but I'm not sure.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/26/2010
Electronics Technician: romr2009, Electronics Engineer replied 8 years ago
romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
HICustomer

• Use 1.5 volts per cell to charge the NiMH battery.
  • The NiMH is not as forgiving as the NiCd battery for overcharging

Please click the ACCEPT button to release your deposit so I will be paid my commission. You can also come back to this same question later for follow-up. Thanks.

Romr
.
why 1.5v?
HiCustomer

why 1.5v?

• A battery is made up of one or more cells connected together.
  • The Rovio uses 5 cells in its battery pack.
-----------
  • The individual NiMH cell has a nominal voltage of 1.2 volts per cell. (1.2 x 5 = 6)
  • To charge any battery, a voltage higher than the battery voltage is required to force the electricity into the battery.
  • The minimum voltage to charge the NiMH cell is 1.4 volts per cell. (1.4 x 5 = 7)
--------
  • If the voltage is too high, one or more of the cells in the battery pack will fail.
  • Voltages of 1.6 to 1.65 volts per cell is only safe if the voltage and temperature are monitored by a smart battery charger. (1.6 x 5 = 8) (1.65 x 5 = 8.25)
  • A voltage of 1.5 volts per cell is a good compromise for a simple connection from the dc power source directly to the NiMH battery pack. (1.5 x 5 = 7.5 volts)
--------

An alternative to connecting the dc power source directly to the battery pack would be to use the charging connections on the bottom of the Rovio.

• You need to get a digital multimeter to determine if the smart battery charger is in the Rovio or in the charging dock.

Romr

Edited by romr2009 on 6/26/2010 at 9:33 PM EST