Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

How can I without fail get back to regular TV from the use…

How can I without fail...
How can I without fail get back to regular TV from the use of the TV after playing either VCR or DVD? I have att Uverse, and way too often have to call them in getting back to the current TV programming. I am lucky if it's fixed in an hour on the phone, and twice I have just been told it must be the fault of my TV, but isn't. Sometimes it functions without problem...
Thank you. XXXXX IL
6/25/2010
Aric, Technician
Hello, there is no way that the Uverse box would be at fault after watching a DVD or VCR on the TV/ The TV itself has Video Inputs that you must scroll through to get the signal on the TV to go to either "Video 1", "Cable" or what ever other input you're plugged into. Can you describe how you have the equipment hooked together?
My 24 year old grand son put it all together; I know nothing about connection except that the red tipped cables are all lying useless, and yellow and white are on the back of TV and the VCR/DVD player. Black and white connections are on the back of the ATT Uverse box. I don't understand what causes the TV to "follow Instructions" sometimes but not others; it never did that before Uverse. Thanks...

Do you have the TV remote with a button called "Input", "Source" or "Video/TV" on it?

"No" to Input and Source, yes to TV/Video (not Video/Tv)
Okay good. The TV/Video button (they call them different things on different TV's), is the one you want to locate. Try this, it will be easy enough to get back to square one if it does not work. Turn on and play something on the DVD player. Then turn on the Cable box as well. Next , click on the TV/Video button at 5 second intervals. Do you see the Cable, then the DVD, then a couple of blank blue screens come up?
Aric, Technician
OK for this time, until it fails again. Thanks.