Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I purchased the Magnavox DVD/CD Player with VCR (MWD2205) from…

I purchased the Magnavox DVD/CD...
I purchased the Magnavox DVD/CD Player with VCR (MWD2205) from Walmart last year and it has performed perfectly until last night. I wanted to play a DVD so I turned the unit on, selected DVD and pushed the open/close button on the remote but the DVD tray didn't open! I tried it mannually on the unit and still the door didn't open. I changed the batteries in the remote, tried again and it still will not open. I haven't tried brute force yet and will wait for your response !!!
The VCR side works perfectly - please help!!

Thanks,
Tom
6/25/2010
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Hi Tom...

I know how frustrating this situation can be, but you are not alone. This is a very common occurrence with DVD players. Your remedy is as follows:

First, unplug the unit from the wall for a few minutes. After plugging it back in, turn the unit on and give it a try. If this doesn't work, continue reading.

Many tray problem are caused by the small rubber drive belt, usually black in color. It is small and will fit around 2 fingers.

It expands with wear and becomes loose and often only partly grips the drive motor spindle which opens & shuts the tray.

They are cheap to buy at most electronic or PC shops and can be replaced at home if you are careful and a bit mechanically inclined.

I hope this helps!

-Dan

Dan:

Turning it off for a couple of minutes worked !!!

Thanks,

Tom

Wonderful!!! Haha... we outsmarted them again!

I am so glad to have been of service... thanks for your business!

-Dan